Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Do the engravings I find in the funpits in the mountains decide the fun I get?  (Read 3715 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile

I think demons should be randomised based on the dwarves gods, like If most of the fort worships the goddess of food, the demons will insta rot any nearby food, the god of children, the demons insta kill any nearby children/make dwarves infertile.

I like this nemesis demons idea. Although hilarity would ensue if your fort worshipped a god of death and you ended up with happy-happy lifebringing demons.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ya, it would suck for the dwarves though, or if they worshiped the fluffy wambler god and they thing that came from the pits was just a hundred cats.
Nom nom nom

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, I think that would probably bring about the Undead Apocalypse. Although it would be amusing to discover demons that healed your dwarves injuries. (Although I supoose that would come with random smitings by your God, too, to even things out)
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile

What if they worship fire and sof come out? S of Ice?

Or water/fish and frogs?

Or lust/depravity and tenties?
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile

Aren't the hidden FUN stuff (at least in the current version, I'm not sure how it will work in the next one) supposed to have been trapped there before year 0?

If that's the case, I find it kind of strange they'd be the opposite (spheres) of the current dwarf-god. Also, it wouldn't be as much of a surprise what pops out of there anymore.  ;D

And what happens - if at a later time - you can influence and convert dwarfs between religions, and the god they worship changes mid-game? would the hidden FUN stuff change too? what about engravings, items or magma that appeared when the fort was founded there?  ???
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf. The Dwarf is wearing Steel. The Dwarf is being stuck down by lightning. Nikola Tesla is laughing."

signature yoink!
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Much obliged.

And yeah, I believe the listed demons you get in legends after let them out of a demon pit do say they were imprisoned in the mountain in a time before time or some such nonsense.

But I don't find it all that odd that they would be of a opposite sphere as the Dwarf-God, cause wouldn't they want to remove the opposing powers? As such, a dwarf good of blood, fire, and death, would be more likely to imprison the Moist Life Demon of Trees.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile

The Moist Life Demon of Trees.
Imagining this sucker is creepy.
His aura makes your external layer of skin saturated to the point that it gets all pruney, spores from this guy begin to burrow into your soft, sweet skin and grow into saplings that thrive on your blood. It combines life, trees and water in a way that sounds worse than being incinerated to death.

cyclotis04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If all Fun Stuff is used solely by the gods to imprison Clowns, why does the game say "Praise the miners!"? Shouldn't it say "Run away!"? You would think they would learn...

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You do realise this is DF right? *not to be offensive at all, though itd be amusing if bureacrats back in mountainhomes pushed forward for the adamantine to be mined giggling to themselves that the fort would either be clearly the safest with lots of wealth when traders got there or wiped out with the demons having run off somewhere else leaving behind all the adamantine, when actually, the demons ran off towards the mountainhomes*

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile

The game has higher hopes for your dwarves than you do.

Also, wouldn't gods be most likely banishing similar, weaker gods to them rather than their opposites? I know the whole cliché about "ancient god of War and Blood being sealed away by the rest of godhood", but I just think it'd make more sense for a god of blizzards to banish the god of frozen rivers in order to capitalize on that position as well.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile

Not really, since with a pantheon you probably have a sort of hierarchical system. God of blizzards and god of frozen rivers and god of snocones are all under the god of ice... or something like that. The god of ice would need the lesser gods to manage the other spheres.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like that system...

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile

I think demons should be randomised based on the dwarves gods, like If most of the fort worships the goddess of food, the demons will insta rot any nearby food, the god of children, the demons insta kill any nearby children/make dwarves infertile.

I'd like to be able to still see the old 3 clowns. The !!clown!! and water clown could fit in easily with that system, but what sort of sphere would the Dwarven Gods need to have to get naughty clowns? Marriage?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

NO, if you were going by the opposite, then you would get naughty clowns if your dwarves worshiped chastity.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 2 [3]