Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants  (Read 539 times)

Need_More_War!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants
« on: October 16, 2009, 08:16:24 pm »

What determines when and how many will you get?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Migrants
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 08:22:34 pm »

I read somewhere that its all about how much you produce in the last season. Its also about how much you trade (import/export).
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Need_More_War!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 08:23:26 pm »

Thanks

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 10:22:21 pm »

I read somewhere that its all about how much you produce in the last season. Its also about how much you trade (import/export).

Not sure what you've been reading, I've never heard either of these.

From what is commonly understood to be true, it's "Created Wealth", and the increase in CW between last year and this.  It's measured when the Caravan/Liaison show up - I think it's actually the L. who matters, but it's not clear when, exactly, the amount is determined - a LOT of variables and randomness in there as well.

The amount of profit a Caravan gets determines how much crap they bring next year.

This is all in the wiki - "Migrant" or "migration" (either)

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 11:00:29 pm »

It's caravan, not liaison (as you can still gain migrants even if your liaisons all die).

The caravan must survive and leave the map to count -- if this doesn't happen, the reported created wealth doesn't change.

Deaths -- particularly noble deaths -- reduce the number of migrants.  This seems to happen regardless of the caravan successfully leaving or not.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 02:41:01 am »

Also, in some cases, the dwarven mountainhome civilization fared so badly during worldgen, that you will not recieve immigrants. Or ony 1 wave.
My current fortress got 5 migrants in it's 3d year. Now in year 15. No more migrants. Abandoning and looking in Legends revealed that the mountainhome civ only has 1 city.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 12:18:02 pm »

The caravans aren't the sole factor; I've had forts where I've gotten migrants before the first caravan shows up. Not many migrants, but some. However, it's far more common for you to get your first migrant wave in spring of the second year than in summer of the first.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels