Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Dead Zone?  (Read 772 times)

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Dead Zone?
« on: October 16, 2009, 03:54:33 pm »

So I started a new fortress the other day in the interest of trying out some new architectural designs. I had been playing for a little while when it occurred to me that something was a bit... off? After some examination, I realized that 4 game years had gone by without any migrants, and only a single baby born to a single marriage! At first I was distressed, thinking that it would take forever to get anything done, but with a bit of thought I realized that I've been presented with a golden opportunity. Less dwarves means less food and booze to worry about and more time to experiment with both social dynamics and unusual contraptions. I only get one caravan a year, and unfortunately it's elven, but I figure that with a site as rich as this one, I may be able to get by.

Any thoughts? Why would this even happen?

edit: I should say this before anyone asks. Yes, I have immigration enabled. No, my population cap isn't set to 7. Everything's vanilla except for some smelter tweaks.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Dead Zone?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 04:02:18 pm »

My guess is that all the dwarves in your civ died out in worldgen. Have the dwarvern merchants arrived in those years? If not, then you're on your own. If they have, then I have no idea whats going on.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 04:04:42 pm »

I haven't. So you're saying I'm literally the Last of the Dwarficans? D:

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 04:10:36 pm »

Yep. This has happened before, too. I'd look it up but im a lazy foo'.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 04:49:04 pm »

or the caravan plain just can't get to you.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 04:59:39 pm »

Yeah, I *THINK* this can happen sometimes if you use Embark Anywhere. But AFAIK, the dwarven caravan should always come to you if there's a dwarven civ, even if you're somewhere inaccessible (case in point: islands).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 05:00:24 pm »

Ninja'd, but still:

Usually, the dwarvern caravan always comes, unless there arent any dwarves in the first place. Just check it out for yourself:

Find a spot in the world in the embark screen that is completely seperate from the rest of the world, like an island in the middle of the ocean. Switch to the 'civs' screen, and you'll notice that only Dwarves show up. No elves, humans, goblins, whatever. If the caravan shows up, you'll get migrants. If it doesnt, you wont.

Unless you're getting caravans but theyre not making it to your depot, like if they got attacked by wildlife or something. Then I have no idea why you're not getting migrants, but to me, no dwarves in the world seems like the most likely explanation.