Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Manual suggestion  (Read 475 times)

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Manual suggestion
« on: October 31, 2006, 12:42:00 pm »

Hello !

Toady, good job with the last release ! I have spotted today for the first time the "Manual" link on the main page. And it made me wonder :
Would it be possible to have the ingame manual be in separate text files, so we (thes user) could edit and improve it using all data from the wiki.
Well, maybe it is possible already.In that case, that would be a suggestion to other users and not toady then...

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manual suggestion
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »

Actually that is a good idea. I understand Toady's reasons for keeping the project his own and not going open-source, but there's no good reason why the users couldn't take control of making the manual. Less work for Toady, it needs to be done, and there is all that stuff on the wiki to use.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manual suggestion
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 12:12:00 am »

At the very least, he's free to take any of the content from the wiki he likes.  Much of the site is "spoilier" than a basic game manual should be, though.  But the manual could still use some rounding out.  

Then again, so could the wiki: we're still missing a really solid "getting started" section.  Our "farming" article is good, but could clearer and simpler.  I've been meaning to rewrite that one.