Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My magma is drying out  (Read 1775 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
My magma is drying out
« on: October 18, 2009, 11:35:25 pm »

I have a long magmaduct leading from a non-refilling pool. It's taking too long to fill my magma network under my magma workshops. It evaporates before it continues along. I could have built them closer to the magma pool but my calculations that forgot about evaporation made it seem safe.

I need one of two things:

To add magma volume to an empty tile
To replenish my non-refilling magma pool and try again some other way
(Last resort) To fool the magma workshops into thinking they have magma under them

Unless you can think of another way to get my magma workshops supplied. Putting my workshops closer is not an option, nor is using floodgates and pumps as the magmaduct is already in process and I'd run out of the stuff.

I understand Dwarf Companion can add magma. I'd need to load Python and a bunch of other junk but I'd rather not do that just for some magma.

At this point though I'm pretty unsatisfied. The game is too easy with traps, and I don't want to screw with invasions without them. I'm pretty surprised DF has held my attention so long, I normally really hate stronghold sims and real-time strategy. I guess it's a little personal testament to the game's quality.

Anyway. Kind of burned out, but it would be nice to see if there's an answer to my problem. I couldn't find an answer with the forum search. I got too many garbage results :/
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: My magma is drying out
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 11:55:48 pm »

Do you have pumps leading directly into the magma duct? This speeds up the magma flow significantly so long as the pumps are well supplied.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 12:17:29 am »

Nope. I just built an up-staircase and then a down-staircase. So it's dropping out and not flowing out. I didn't think I'd need any assistance. But it's cool that pumps pump faster than a free flow. Good to know.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:44:10 am »

I find "tweak" with "For Each Tile" to be the easiest way to add magma, although it doesn't work with d16. I think the only thing you need is .NET, but don't quote me on that.

The "making lava" action is something like:
Condition: xy_distance_to_cursor<5
Action: set_magma_level(7)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 03:18:45 am »

FYI, 40d is fully compatible with 40d16 so you could port your game to a 40d version, make the change, then move it back over.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 05:01:45 pm »

What if you changed the temperature of the magma? Would I have to start a new fort? I can't even find where in the files I can do such a thing.

Is it possible to modify the spread speed of the magma (its viscosity) which would also do what I want?

EDIT: Or, maybe change what the magma turns into when it cools (turning that cooled magma object into a 1/7 of magma instead and thus prevent all evaporation).
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 06:44:14 pm »

As far as I know magma, vomit, water/ice, etc are all hard coded for now.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:28:06 pm »

Well I guess in the future I need to just embark on a magma tube if I want magma at all, using a two-level magmaduct with access above so I can fill a zone then channel to open up a new zone, and so on until I get 7/7 magma pressing against the last wall before my workshop magma tunnels. Just one more mistake to learn from I guess.

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 04:20:41 am »

You should seriously consider using Tweak to increase the amount of magma you have. Whenever it gets too shallow, you can use Tweak to raise it back to 7/7. Either that, or you can stick to maps that have Magma Pipes instead of pools. If you're very attached to this Fortress and want a quick solution, Tweak is the best option you're going to get. Although if you're very attached to a fortress, I'd say you've just made another mistake you'll soon learn from. ;)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 01:13:44 pm »

Yeah actually I'm just attached to the time I spent on it so far :P
I never embark somewhere without an infinite water source, and I embarked on this one with the finite magma just because every other little thing was perfect. Well, as perfect as you can realistically expect.

But I did cheat a little to get an anvil so I wouldn't lose a metalcrafter fey mood. And then I got a second metalcrafter fey mood and so I felt twice as bad about cheating. The whole fort feels like a sham now :/

Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep Tweak in mind if I get into a much more desperate situation.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned