Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making hotkeys more consistent  (Read 543 times)

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making hotkeys more consistent
« on: October 30, 2006, 06:30:00 pm »

I didn't see anything about this in the development list;  apologies if it's been covered before.

I am constantly thrown off by the way the shortcut keys change from menu to menu.  For example:

* building a floodgate is L from the mason's screen, but placing it uses X.  
* building a statue is U in the workshop, but placing it is S.  (This one is especially annoying for me, because I always find myself building channels by mistake, which can't be unbuilt.)
* building a weapon rack is W in the workshop, but placing it is R.
* building and placing cages both use the letter J, but placing a cage in a cage trap uses C.
* building things with gems uses the J key, but the gem stockpile is labelled with E.

I do realize that there are few enough letters in the alphabet that you can't always count on using the same one for the same thing.  But it should be possible to make things a little more consistent than they already are.  For me, at least, it would be useful to think "Floodgates are always X, since it looks like an X on the screen" or whatever.

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
Re: Making hotkeys more consistent
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 12:18:00 am »

quote:
building a floodgate is L from the mason's screen, but placing it uses X.

And I think linking it to a lever is "f".