Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tents and Bedrolls  (Read 600 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tents and Bedrolls
« on: October 16, 2009, 11:54:34 am »

Presently, dwarven militia have a few options to keep them on patrol longer.  They can carry food in a backpack, and water in a waterskin.  But what about sleep?  There's no special item for this, probably because they can be instructed to sleep on the ground.  However, this comes with several unhappy thoughts - one for sleeping on the ground, possibly one for being caught in the rain/snow, possibly another for being too cold.

A tent or bedroll seeks to alleviate these unhappy thoughts.  It provides a soft surface to sleep on - not as good as a bed, but better than the ground.  It provides warmth.  If it's a tent, it will provide shelter against the elements.  It could be used with a bonfire to even give the dwarf a happy thought.

I'm thinking bedrolls and tents could both be available, but the tent is an optional upgrade made for the weather.  Possibly, combined with the bonfire you could put these items together to make a campsite in Adventure mode, or find some use for it in Fortress.  Maybe when conquests off-site are implemented, you could build a camp where your dwarves can retreat to and rest up before resuming their attack.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 11:57:32 am by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Mapleleaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tents and Bedrolls
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 03:55:01 am »

I'd love to see these implemented. It'd be awesome to be able to buy these on embark for your first few dwarves, taking away the unhappy thoughts they keep getting barraged with at the beginning of the game.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tents and Bedrolls
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 04:54:31 am »

I think I saw this suggested somewhere...