Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glass bridge to the island.  (Read 1323 times)

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
Glass bridge to the island.
« on: October 14, 2009, 08:43:34 pm »

Today I found a really neat island that was within swimming distance of the main land but still far enough that connecting them would not be a walk in the park. Both areas have abundant trees and stone that could be harvested for construction. I left with a ton of bituminous coal and right now I am trying to build a bridge from the main land to the island. Eventually I hope to move everybody over to the island so that caravans can cross over to trade and any attacking armies (playing with orcs mod : D ) will have to endure withering fire as they run across a glass bridge slippery with blood. I remember a while back seeing a really neat bridge somebody had designed complete with spires and what looked like suspension. I'm aiming for something more utilitarian, but with plenty of elevated causeways and towers to help my marksdwarfs. Right now it is just a single tile wide glass floor jutting out a short ways over the ocean.

Any suggestions?

Here is the local image:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:04:28 am by Canadark »
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Glass bridge to the island.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 10:41:57 pm »

Make a glass bridge all the way across the water. Then make smaller bridges parallel to the main bridge out of stone. Make spires/towers on the smaller bridges along the way, so that your marksdwarves can aim and shoot without worry of your towers being flooded with elf scu-- i mean, traders. Half way along your glass bridge, make a large toll booth out of stone, so that it looks like theres a giant stone castle suspended by glass.

That sounds like an interesting starting point. Care to share the map?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 10:53:24 pm »

If you're going to bother with a glass bridge across the ocean, I'd say you may as well go all the way and make a glass tunnel under the water, so that all caravans that pass through can marvel at your feats of engineering.  Ideally it would be clear glass, but it'll work well enough with green glass.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 11:00:34 pm »

Make bridge out of the crap you can find. As long as isn't to big to fall into the ocean.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 11:10:31 pm »

Upload the map. Or some screenshots. :p
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 11:48:33 pm »

Bridges are cool to make. if you ever abandon the fort your in then the island will have access to all the mainland Civs.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 12:19:33 am »

Someone did connect islands before, forgot who.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 12:32:50 am »

I have done it myself. It also works if you build a road through a mountain chain.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 12:48:02 am »

If you're going to bother with a glass bridge across the ocean, I'd say you may as well go all the way and make a glass tunnel under the water, so that all caravans that pass through can marvel at your feats of engineering.  Ideally it would be clear glass, but it'll work well enough with green glass.

Okay that is such an awesome idea, im guna try that with magma.

OFFTOPIC, your sig made me crack up.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 12:59:47 am »

I'm planning on making roads across one of my gen'd worlds and connecting as many areas as I possibly can with bridges. I'll turn off invasions during this though, simply because they would make it next to impossible to succeed.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 10:11:02 am »

I'm planning on making roads across one of my gen'd worlds and connecting as many areas as I possibly can with bridges. I'll turn off invasions during this though, simply because they would make it next to impossible to succeed.

Well that's no fun.

Anyways, I have every intention of building the whole thing out of glass, if only I had some magma this process would go much smoother.

When I first embarked I thought I was actually on the island side, until the dwarf caravan suddenly showed up coming from the western edge of the map. I was kind of hoping for a sort of escape scenario, now my dwarfs are much more vulnerable to attack from the orcs.

How exactly would one build a glass tunnel without draining the entire ocean? I've read about people building domes before but I've never been able to theorize how they go about doing it. I originally thought they made a giant block of glass with a massive spire they could burrow down through and dropped the thing into the sea, but don't constructed walls always collapse?

One more question... the size of the overhang has no bearing on whether it collapses or not as long as there is some small connection with stable ground, right?
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 10:37:17 am »

No, sadly, everything constructed gets deconstructed when you drop it.

You can, however pump water out of tile fast enough to create empty spot at which you can erect wall or lay floor tile. IIRC, you can also destroy water with atom smasher bridges which can double as walls.

That means that you can eventually wall off large section of sea, construct your tunnel and deconstruct dam.

Easy, huh.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 11:12:02 am »

One more question... the size of the overhang has no bearing on whether it collapses or not as long as there is some small connection with stable ground, right?
As long as it has direct support from some point, it'll stay up.  Note that only floors and walls count for this.  Hatches and grates don't transfer support, so if you build something off of those it'll collapse and wreck the place.

As to what I was thinking, you could just build the bridge as a tunnel, as normal, and then just use an infinite water source to flood it to a level where the tunnel is actually submerged.  Bonus points if you just make your whole fort underwater-based, though you'd need to use drawbridge-walls at the edges of the map.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.