Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Core42, TOWN, ITEMS  (Read 560 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Core42, TOWN, ITEMS
« on: October 30, 2006, 12:36:00 pm »

From Core42:
Basic items around the town, including differentiations between the homes of various people. Keys. Clothes, outfits, uniforms and symbols.

Since Toady is now working on this, I just thought I would get input on what kind of things you would like to see done here.
-------------------------
Basic items around the town

Do these items also include more placeables like beds, tables, wells, farms, etc?  I would like to see more placeables like this; things that a village would need to show that it looks "lived" in.  These placeables could be interacted with by the player (use a well to get water, grab a tomato to eat from a farm).

Differentations between the homes of various people

This is would be really nice.  I hate how all most of the buildings look like long rectangles.  Making each town have some random feel would be nice too (so not every town looks the same).  Also, homes should not be apartments.  They should be individual structures holding a single family (everyone has the same last name).  One building that needs to be included is an INN!  A place where the player can go to rest and recover from wounds (for a price).

Keys. Clothes, outfits, uniforms and symbols.

Do symbols mean things like signs for shops?  That would be really nice  How will keys work?  Are they used to enter certain locked buildings?  It would be great to see guards wear uniforms that are unique to the region's (or town's) coat of arms.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Core42, TOWN, ITEMS
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 01:16:00 pm »

i quess you didn't played adv mode much.
there are already beds tables and chairs in one building (just like inn but it is free for now)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 01:44:00 pm »

quote:
i quess you didn't played adv mode much.
there are already beds tables and chairs in one building (just like inn but it is free for now)  

Yeah, that's true, but it isn't really an Inn if there is no sign or merchant designating it as one.  Also, wounds are recovered automatically when travelling from space to space, so the beds are pretty much useless anyway.

20,000leeks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 07:25:00 pm »

Adventure mode is a lot less playable than fortress mode at the moment, so the problem is trying to extrapolate what it's going to be like later and then deciding what you'd like.

That having been said, it would be nice if people around town had possessions, much as the dwarves do, based on their relative socioeconomic standing. Peasants aren't going to own a jewel-encrusted rat bone scepter - but the Mayor might. Maybe theft would become more than "hmm, I'm hungry, let's go steal from the food barrel".

A *really* cool addition would be designated farmland in the empty space just above or below the town. Much like in fortress mode, but outside. This explains where all the food is coming from. However, unless it's balanced properly, there'll either be too much food production and an oversupply of barrels, or too little food production and starvation.

Similarly, it'd be quite cool to have maybe one or two workshops in a town. Not a huge number, since, c'mon, it's just a wee village. And instead of having shops for everything, just shops for what the village produces. Although this is kind of getting beyond the 'basic items' concept.

And it would be quite nice to be able to tell the town hall from all the apartments everywhere. One of the more annoying things is checking every building to see whether it's the house you're looking for. As for differentiating individual homes, maybe different kinds of furniture placement, different types of furniture (wooden chairs, stone thrones, etc...), just random stuff that people accumulate throughout their lives. Maybe a chest with a few keepsakes.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 10:27:00 am »

quote:
it would be nice if people around town had possessions, much as the dwarves do, based on their relative socioeconomic standing  

I really like this idea.  This goes right along with giving *all* creatures items.  Accumulating wealth from the denizens of a fantasy world is at the very heart of an RPG game.  Without it, you're just playing to sight-see.

Later, this idea could be used in conjunction with sneaking.  It would be fun to try to sneak into someones home at night and try to steal their valuables.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 12:30:00 pm »

quote:
A *really* cool addition would be designated farmland in the empty space just above or below the town. Much like in fortress mode, but outside. This explains where all the food is coming from.

Yeah, thats the problem with 99% of Role-Playing games, the worlds are just not real ! The designers just sprinkle towns and villages here and there, and thats it. Ok, here's your village, sitting in a middle of nowhere, without farms, with no roads, no infrastructures of any kind. How do these people survive here ?!

quote:
And it would be quite nice to be able to tell the town hall from all the apartments everywhere. One of the more annoying things is checking every building to see whether it's the house you're looking for.

Color coding, of course. Cheap and effective.