Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple stockpile take froms  (Read 1332 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiple stockpile take froms
« on: January 10, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »

Why can't we have two stockpiles take from one stockpile?
I want to have all my little stone stockpiles take from all the bigger ones.
Right now I have a chain of stockpiles, which creates an obscene amount of unnecessary hauling jobs.

Please add this feature in, it would simplify things greatly.

[ January 10, 2008: Message edited by: Slappy Moose ]

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple stockpile take froms
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 05:13:00 am »

One of the most desired features currently. not to mention one central plant stockpile #feeding# several other stockpiles depending on what processing need to be done, several drink stockpiles getting a surplus from the central one (allowing for instance drinks to be served at every hospital bed, in every room etc. a chain is not nearly as efficient.

Snoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 11:30:35 pm »

I've been out of the loop for a while, but has there been anything further on this?

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 07:49:44 am »

Umm it may have something to do with the job system... I know this seems a little backwards, but I am betting that the stockpile you select to take from creates the hauling job, not the one your bringing it to.

So.. I am thinking it's a side effect of things only being able to have one job active at a time.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Snoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 08:47:01 am »

Yeah OK. That makes a lot of sense. However, as the OP says, it would be a lot easier and more efficient (certainly the way I tend to end up having things work) if a stockpile could have multiple other stockpiles taking from it.
 Could it be as simple as having the destination stockpile generate the job? Maybe not, but I feel I have to put this one out there.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 08:57:39 am »

Yeah OK. That makes a lot of sense. However, as the OP says, it would be a lot easier and more efficient (certainly the way I tend to end up having things work) if a stockpile could have multiple other stockpiles taking from it.
 Could it be as simple as having the destination stockpile generate the job? Maybe not, but I feel I have to put this one out there.

Honestly... I really don't know...   I am guessing if it is switched though then the receiving stockpile can only take from one... even though I guess I have only taken from two or more maybe 3 times in my DF playing.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 09:50:37 am »

In my experience, a stockpile can only have once source and one target, so there is no way to spread goods out.  I'm not sure if this intended or not.  Either way, the hauling system is do for a major overhaul.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 12:53:00 pm »

Definatly a major item for one laarge stockiple being broken up into smaller, more restrictive ones. Ie reffuse feeds seperate bone, skull, shell piles. Dwarf powered sorting.

And yes, distributed mini booze stocks are so very desired.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.