Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Awesome site, anyone want?  (Read 4474 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Awesome site, anyone want?
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 03:29:33 pm »

Chalk is a layer stone - it doesn't appear "within" any stone, but other stones do appear within it.

Also, sedimentary layers do not guarantee magnetite and bauxite - I've generated worlds with sites where the sedimentary layers were full of magnetite, gypsum, and talc, but not a single patch of bauxite.

There's an upper limit on how many different stone types can appear within a particular layer type, and it's possible for magnetite and/or bauxite to not get chosen. This is also why rock crystals are so damn uncommon - there's 36 types of gems that can appear anywhere, so the likehood of rock crystals being chosen is quite low.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 07:32:22 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2009, 01:32:18 am »

im just interested... are the mineral deposites random for each embark or for each world gen? so if i gen the same world twice and embark in the same place on both with i get the same minerals in the same exact tiles or not?

sorry for necromancy

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2009, 03:43:27 am »

I'm pretty sure it's each embark, to a degree; the system spontainiously generates underground layers when you try and do something to them; by default the underground layers are ungenerated until you try and get to them to save on loading time.

However, if you gen exactly the same world it'll grab the same seed numbers and thus make the same layers. But this is why UG layers vary from person to person, despite exactly the same site and copy of the game.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2009, 11:15:31 am »

It's not each embark, it's set for each world generation, I've embarked multiple times, ctrl alt deleted, the game, re=embarked and everything is exactly the same, It's for each world gen.
Nom nom nom

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2009, 08:11:52 pm »

However, if you gen exactly the same world it'll grab the same seed numbers and thus make the same layers. But this is why UG layers vary from person to person, despite exactly the same site and copy of the game.
Pages: 1 2 [3]