Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water upward pressure  (Read 1124 times)

Ultrudeus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Water upward pressure
« on: October 11, 2009, 10:42:43 am »

So here is my question. Bellow is a crude map from the side as accurate as I could make it.
Z-5 is a river a ways off that I channeled over my fort.
Z-4 and Z-5 are the my fort.
Z-1 is the lowest mined area on the map.
A breach occurred over Z-4.
Everything from Z-1 to Z-4 is filled with water to a level of 7.Why doesn't the rest of Z-5 fill up? Since the river has a level of 7 there should be positive pressure pushing the water up right? But there is none. Am I missing something?

River
     v               _______  _____
5 =====_____|  ___________|
4   | _____________|       <--Fort
3   ||<--Shaft
2   ||_____
1   |______|<--Fort Basement

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
Re: Water upward pressure
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 10:53:49 am »

Wiki on Hydrostatic pressure in DF

In particular:
Note that DF water pressure does not exactly match natural hydrostatic water pressure - it fills to a z-level one level lower than the source. (This is for reasons of CPU time-saving, as stated by Toady), the game stops not when all ends of the system are on the same level, but the far levels are one-lower than the source.)

Ultrudeus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 10:56:34 am »

Wiki on Hydrostatic pressure in DF

In particular:
Note that DF water pressure does not exactly match natural hydrostatic water pressure - it fills to a z-level one level lower than the source. (This is for reasons of CPU time-saving, as stated by Toady), the game stops not when all ends of the system are on the same level, but the far levels are one-lower than the source.)

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that. I guess playing for a good 14 hours straight on only 4 hours of sleep can make me skip over things....
 :P :P :P :P

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 11:01:41 am »

Note that if you had dammed the river, then the water would have filled up the rest of Z-5 - the only reason it doesn't fill up is because the water prefers to drain off the edge of the map.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.