Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Got you now, you aquatic bastards!  (Read 1034 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Got you now, you aquatic bastards!
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:07:44 pm »

As detailed in one of my previous threds, my current fortress has been having serious trouble with carp (#1 cause of death, at least until one siege went particularly badly wrong, and a goblin mace-lord got inside the fortress.

Until finally, frustrated by the constant fishy genocide, I resolved to drain the Armok-damned river!

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Who's laughing now, eh, carp?

Oh - sorry - you can't answer because you're all dead!

I'm currently building a drawbridge on the river-bed at the inflow end of the river, so I can turn the river on and off at will.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Got you now, you aquatic bastards!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:12:40 pm »

As detailed in one of my previous threds, my current fortress has been having serious trouble with carp (#1 cause of death, at least until one siege went particularly badly wrong, and a goblin mace-lord got inside the fortress.

Until finally, frustrated by the constant fishy genocide, I resolved to drain the Armok-damned river!

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I'm currently building a drawbridge on the river-bed at the inflow end of the river, so I can turn the river on and off at will.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 05:17:24 pm »

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA

BwahahahhahaaaahahaaaaahahaaaAAACKKK HACK HACK *snort* GAAAHHHGH *choke choke* Hey what, where's the discussion?

You should post screens so that we can see it. Would've been nicer if you had uploaded a video, though.

For the record, next time you need to trap all the carp in a special reservoir and then ENCASE THEM IN OBSIDIAN
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 05:33:13 pm »

You should post screens so that we can see it. Would've been nicer if you had uploaded a video, though.

For the record, next time you need to trap all the carp in a special reservoir and then ENCASE THEM IN OBSIDIAN
Probably wouldn't have made a good video, as it took me a long time to work out the best way of draining the river (I ended up using several different methods), and the whole thing took a while. 

I might post some screens later though, just to show my draining system (unfortunately I haven't got any of the riverbed when it was strewn with named carp corpses and the weapons, armour and clothes of deceased dwarves).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 06:04:32 pm »

Erm... wouldn't the water pressure bake it so that in the end, you'd end up having water flow up and around the bridge?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 06:08:13 pm »

Rivers currently aren't pressurized, they flow because one end spawns water and the other drains it. Later this won't work,we'll have to reroute the rivers rather than just damming them, but for now it works just fine.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 06:37:15 pm »

Actually, rivers are pressurized, though it only becomes obvious if water is entering the map edge more quickly than it's draining off the other end or if you've prevented it from draining at all (i.e. by building a dam). In any event, said pressure doesn't go up past the original Z-level of the water source, so rivers won't overflow their dams unless you build the dam downstream of a waterfall.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.