Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves insisting on standing on weird places + Noble question  (Read 574 times)

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves insisting on standing on weird places + Noble question
« on: October 10, 2009, 04:47:47 am »

No, this isn't a problem with building.

Instead, rather, my idle dwarves insist on standing on weird places.

For example, they like to stand outside my walled fort for no reason, rather than stand on a meeting zone inside my fort (that is a few tiles away, beyond a wall). Removing the zone doesn't seem to help, even when I've a statue garden, and zoo defined.

Also, 2 migrants stood around where they came in, even after their migrant status expired. The other migrants has since walked to the meeting zone. I've drafted them to get them inside my fort, but deactivating them sends them running back outside, standing on some far side of the map for no reason. 1 of them seems to have claimed a room on appearing. No idea where though. (Economy is on).

EDIT:

Also, I've 173 dwarves now (24 childrens). My Count doesn't seem to be getting promoted/Duke doesn't seem to be coming, so I'm not getting the king either....
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 04:53:46 am by 2xMachina »

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves insisting on standing on weird places + Noble question
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 07:05:43 am »

Firstly, some dwarves actually dislike crowds, and will stand somewhere quiet, try having more tunnels and mined out areas for them to stand in, they may just go there instead.

Secondly, try giving those migrants a job, like a single pull lever job on a lever just for them, not attached to anything. They will walk in for their job, and then probably stay around there, dwarves seem to actually have favourite places in a fort, and that has given me problems with a dwarf loving the magma channel I was just filling.

I'm not sure on the noble issue, but you might want to just create more wealth, that seems to effect a lot of things. Smoothing things is a quick way to get wealth.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 07:11:21 am »

Well, they have their rooms to stand in if they dislike crowds.

I've mined/smoothed/engraved out enough space for 200+ rooms, so created wealth is not a problem also.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 07:27:56 am »

I've found in my current fort that even if they have rooms to stand in, some of them will prefer to stand somewhere else, like outside, or in a mining shaft.

I did notice they tend to sometimes also stand where their last job ended, so you may want to just create some artificial jobs, like setting stone to be dumped somewhere, then reclaiming it and dumping it somewhere else. This will also help them afford their homes with the economy.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 09:12:56 am »

It might seem weird but people on general do not want to stand around in their rooms all day. they might not like crowds but they probably like company. do you have any big dinning rooms or statue gardens for them to hang out at?
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 09:17:09 am »

Yup, a big dining room, and a crowded statue garden.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 11:22:49 am »

If a dwarf ever gets stranded in a particular location (e.g. building a wall or digging a channel from the wrong side), then that dwarf will choose that location as his "idle" spot for a while and prefer to stand there whenever he isn't otherwise busy (after a while, he'll decide to switch to another meeting area).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 12:04:06 pm »

Problem solved. Gave them some jobs to do, and they were ok back.

Still nothing on the duke though. 193 dwarves now (though mostly children/babies), and the last migration had no nobles.