Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for inspiring Workshops  (Read 1016 times)

Tael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for inspiring Workshops
« on: October 09, 2009, 05:03:54 pm »

So, I've bee working fairly steadily on making a more interesting fortress -- Less of the same old things I've been using all the time. I used to use a circular fortress-tower, but got bored of designating the rooms that I never actually did anything interesting with.
Now I'm trying to set up a more interesting fort, but I'm not quite sure how or where to put the workshops.
What I'm asking for is for people to post workshop layouts (Preferably that fit within ~24x24 squares), that are not the standard 3x3 room+door//cornerdoor complexes, NOR 5x5 minus corners setups. What I'm looking for is something which will look nice -- better than the cut-paste workshops.

Post some inspiring workshop designs if you have them!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 05:25:06 pm by Tael »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for inspiring Workshops
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 05:17:02 pm »

Here's an idea, You could find three of your favorite DF-supported colors and make a wave pattern with them
Or you could build with only red stones and have a blood mosaic to please Armok.
Also, are those big rooms intended to look like swastikas?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 05:29:16 pm »

Good to see someone still using Dwarf Heaven.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Tael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 05:36:20 pm »

More or less Dwarf Heaven. Its 5x5 and set with the magma/bottomless pit in the top left rather than in the middle-ish, with partial chasm.

And as for looking like swastikas, that is unintentional but results from the design idea for that housing -- Four centrally linked rooms for dwarves. They'll end up being two stories tall, smoothed, and in the case of the larger ones, paved with either green or red stones, their walls being natural as much as possible. The center is going to be a court-yard type area. Military will be stationed inside of the pillars in front -- which will end up being several z-levels.
But again this is a request for suggestions on how to set up workshops in the back half of my fortress.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 07:30:45 pm »

Build a circle of kickass magma forges in the center of each of the squares, Then surrounded by them place various other workshops also in a circle. Basically clear the whole part of that map.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 07:37:43 pm »

Your design honestly looks incredibly inefficient for the sake of pretty shapes. Cut down on travel distance and make better use of the third dimension. That's my advice, anyway.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 07:48:48 pm »

Also, are those big rooms intended to look like swastikas?

Even if they are, it ain't the Nazi ones. He took the original kind that are a Sihk and Indian holy symbol.

As for my advice... hmmmm... problem is I don't remember how each workshop looks. You'll have a better time of it when the custom workshops come out next patch.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 04:25:56 am »

I put a hanging floor over a volcano for all my magma forges and workshops then walled off the crater, remember to wall off around the hanging floor, and floored Z-level +1. The stairs go through the "roof" and single holes in the floor let them be active.  Spirits of fire and fire imps dance around outside. Trapped by the walls, and unable to get into the forges.