Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HFS meet the Bear Trap. (spoilers)  (Read 1236 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
HFS meet the Bear Trap. (spoilers)
« on: October 10, 2009, 04:13:04 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1723-hfsmeetthebeartrap

The fact that the only squad leader awake enough to defend the exit about five minutes in was that particular squad leader was sheer coincidence. Good thing I forgot to floor that hole over.

Here's the second half of the fight. Tip: Angry clowns have a hard time setting you on fire when you're not wearing anything flammable.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1724-aftermathofthebeartraptheclownscharge

I award my dwarves bonus points for that drama moment near the end. Most of the video can be skipped after the initial battle, though.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 05:26:16 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HFS meet the Bear Trap. (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 05:00:15 pm »

Nice, for a moment I thought that demons name was Rose, also lol on the Uranium WarHammer. :)

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 06:26:53 pm »

That's a cool idea but the videos are just about unwatchable.
They stay paused for what feels like half an hour at a time, so I crank up the speed to try to skip past it, only to miss the split second of actual movement before it goes back into staring at the same paused moment for ages.
I'm guessing that's because the video plays back at a uniform framerate, but your FPS is higher when the game's paused (500ish as opposed to 20ish when unpaused), so more frames of paused-ness are recorded into the video during the same amounts of realtime recording. Cap your FPS in your init file.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 06:47:00 pm »

Yeah, I thought so too. I heard there was a DF video editor lying around, maybe I'll see if I can redo those videos with it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 07:38:13 pm »

When recording videos, always set your Maximum FPS to 100. In fact, you should really never configure your max FPS higher than your actual maximum (unpaused) framerate, since all it does is consume extra CPU when you pause the game.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 11:48:37 pm »

I expect tentacle or toad clowns would have been bear food. !!Clowns!! are just downright deadly.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 12:25:05 am »

I normally expected it to be one heck of a machine designed to mangle the clowns. However, now seeing that. This came to mind:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 01:28:58 am »

I normally expected it to be one heck of a machine designed to mangle the clowns. However, now seeing that. This came to mind:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I suppose you could mod the game to make bears able to act as mounts like horses?
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 01:44:38 am »

Yes, but only invaders ride mounts for now.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.