Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making Chasm's safe?  (Read 668 times)

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making Chasm's safe?
« on: October 08, 2009, 09:23:30 pm »

So, I have batmen harassing my dwarfs (as far as I can tell they are not hurting them, just being a mild nuisance). I set one of my Dwarfs to military in hopes he could dispatch them for me. My dwarf started killing them without much hassle, but, as I am sure you all have guessed, he fell down the chasm.

I'm all like, "Yay! Oh, no! He's being swarmed! Yay, he's killing them anyway! Almost all of them are dead! Finally I am doing well... oops, he fell... he's dead."

So, for now, is my only solution to cover up the entire chasm (the vast majority of it is underground, luckily, and I have yet to mine into it) my bridges? That was my first thought, but that will take quite a while. Just wanted to check and see if there were any obvious solutions I am missing before I go and build ~50 bridges.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Making Chasm's safe?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 09:28:43 pm »

Most creatures are fine with staying inside the chasm, so you could direct your work away from it.
However if you insist on keeping your dwarves in that area, I would suggest a marksman, rather than a melee dwarf, and he should be set to "stay close to station" rather than "Chases opponents"

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:43:01 pm »

Filling it with an infinite water or magma source should kill everything in it, destroying the spawn.

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:57:08 pm »

Couldn't you just floor it off instead?

Who's your dwarf with the highest comedian stat?  Get him and a few others others, arm them with crossbows and have them train near the chasm.  It's not too big a problem if they die because batmen won't use crossbows.
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 10:45:25 pm »

Filling it with an infinite water or magma source should kill everything in it, destroying the spawn.

Er, creatures don't spawn from chasms - whatever's there from the start is all you'll get (aside from breeding, of course, but that's always the case). Also, chasms can absorb an infinite amount of water/magma instantaneously, so trying to fill it would be an exercise in futility.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 11:08:04 pm »

Jervous's suggestion would be accurate if you were playing the 2D version, mind you. But chasms haven't worked that way in years now.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

goatunit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 01:32:44 am »

He may have intended to imply that you floor/wall off the chasm a couple z-levels below.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 08:33:48 am »

Oh, ok. The wiki just said that and I forgot that it's very outdated. I've never actually needed to destroy chasms before.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 09:59:10 am »

yeah, direct your forces away from the lair of the batman

try not to do anything illegal though, or you may find that a lone batman has begun to kill your dwarves in great vigilante vengeance!
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 04:49:19 pm »

edit: I'm stupid. :D