Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Waterfall portal. Would this work?  (Read 1682 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfall portal. Would this work?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 12:44:17 am »

Great idea, I really want to try it... but would it cause pathfinding issues?  From what I understand of the mechanics, I think one of two things are going to happen.  Either nothing will attempt to go through the gate because they don't see a valid path through the water, or they'll walk right into the waterfall while it's flowing because when they originally found the path, it was open, and creatures don't seem to update their paths until something interrupts it.  This could prove disastrous FUN.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Waterfall portal. Would this work?
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 01:09:27 am »

Great idea, I really want to try it... but would it cause pathfinding issues?  From what I understand of the mechanics, I think one of two things are going to happen.  Either nothing will attempt to go through the gate because they don't see a valid path through the water, or they'll walk right into the waterfall while it's flowing because when they originally found the path, it was open, and creatures don't seem to update their paths until something interrupts it.  This could prove disastrous FUN.

No, if you build a thin enough walk way, then you WILL have a situation where stuff gets knocked right off. It will be awesome. Watefalls usually produce enough preasure to knock stuff over that passes under it, so if a bunch of goblins try to pass along your narrow bridge... and get hit by the water fall... :D
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending
Pages: 1 [2]