Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cheating myself an anvil  (Read 2406 times)

Konrad von Richtmark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cheating myself an anvil
« on: October 16, 2009, 07:13:50 pm »

Thanks to a silly interface mistake (don't ask...), my starting anvil has ended up in a tile drowned with water. Draining it isn't really feasible, it's already connected to a river so there won't be any end of water coming in, and neither is there any floodgate in the way.

I'm not going to spend hours to start over and play back to the same place where I'm now, so tell me, what is the easiest way to cheat myself a new anvil like, right now? Note that I'm playing the Dig Deeper mod, in case it makes any difference.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cheating myself an anvil
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 07:17:33 pm »

I'm not one to ask about cheating, but as for recovering the anvil, is it RIGHT NEXT to land?  With pumps directing the water in its tile somewhere further downstream, it may be possible to retrieve it, though it will obviously take quite a bit of setup and effort, and by then traders may come by and have an anvil for sale.

Konrad von Richtmark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 07:24:06 pm »

Yeah, it's right next to land, but I can't afford wasting any effort on retrieving it. Dig Deeper is a killer mod, I need that anvil right bloody now to get my arms industry up, lest I be overrun by orcs.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:25:35 pm »

build depot
wait for traders (with anvils)
deconstruct depot
bam!, you now have a nice shiny anvil or three (not to mention the rest of their goods)

unfortunately, this means waiting around for the autumn caravan if you're going to be ripping off dorfs (the safest option)

out of curiosity, how long were you playing when your anvil became... inaccessible?

I suppose that, in the mean time, you could carve wood or bone xbows and bolts for defence.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 07:30:12 pm »

If it's right next to land, a single dwarf-powered screw pump ought to be enough, possibly with a few walls constructed around the output tile so they don't get swept into the water. Carve a ramp next to the anvil and you should be good to go.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 07:50:46 pm »

build depot
wait for traders (with anvils)
deconstruct depot
bam!, you now have a nice shiny anvil or three (not to mention the rest of their goods)

Isn't seizing just as good (unless it's dwarves)?  From what I understand, the civ looks at the total profit/loss from the traders to determine their relationship with you.  It doesn't matter how you come into possession of their goods for free, it matters that you did.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 08:45:09 pm »

dump magma on tile containing anvil and tile connected to river.

mine obsidian reclaim anvil.

edit: but yeah by autumn you can try and get another anvil either by trading or seizing.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 10:26:36 pm »

I'm against cheating in general, but I understand your position.  So, to answer the question in the OP...

You can mod in a reaction so that, in a forge smelter, X ingredient will give you Y item. Never done it, and there are some limits, but it's in a hundred different threads.  Search for those key words - reaction, mod, forge. Try narrowing it to the mod subforum, maybe.

(edited out brainfart)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 12:13:45 am by Albedo »

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 10:31:21 pm »

I'm against cheating in general, but I understand your position.  So, to answer the question in the OP...

You can mod in a reaction so that, in a forge, X ingredient will give you Y item. Never done it, and there are some limits, but it's in a hundred different threads.  Search for those key words - reaction, mod, forge. Try narrowing it to the mod subforum, maybe.

If he could build a forge, he wouldn't need an anvil... are there any other buildings that you can mod in reactions for?
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 10:34:15 pm »

You don't mod reactions for a forge, but for a smelter (which doesn't require an anvil).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 10:50:45 pm »

Note that you'd need to modify some already existing reaction you think you might not be using (you can make a copy of it though, so that you can change the reaction back).  Adding in new reactions requires genning a new world.  There's a full list of what things you need to create a new world for when modding at the top of the modding subforum.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 10:53:45 pm »

Probably easier just to make dwarves aquatic.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 11:50:04 pm »

If you just want to cheat out right and get an anvil for free alter any reaction so that it looks like this.

[REACTION:(insert name of reaction altered)]
   [NAME:free iron anvil]
   [SMELTER]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]

If you want to keep the reaction usable with some minor editing do this (Rose Gold picked for example because no one regularly makes it). Remove/add the [] (DF views lines in the reactions file without [] as comments and just ignorse them) and Product line for the anvil.

[REACTION:ROSE_GOLD_MAKING]

[NAME:make rose gold bars]

[SMELTER]

REAGENT:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD
REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:COPPER
PRODUCT:100:4:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ROSE_GOLD
FUEL

For reference if you want to add reactions for making anvils that require certain materials they would look like the following. These are typically added to the reaction file before making a fort to bring a new level of dwarfiness to the game, because what is more dwarfy than casting your own anvil out of 3 bars of iron (or Steel)?

[REACTION:CAST_IRON_ANVIL]
   [NAME:cast iron anvil]
   [SMELTER]
   [REAGENT:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
   [FUEL]

[REACTION:CAST_STEEL_ANVIL]
   [NAME:cast steel anvil]
   [SMELTER]
   [REAGENT:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
   [FUEL]

[REACTION:CARVE_GRANITE_ANVIL]
   [NAME:carve granite anvil]
   [SMELTER]
   [REAGENT:2:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:GRANITE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:GRANITE]
   (yes Granite really can be used as an anvil, it is hard enough and tough enough that it won't break, it can be made smooth enough so that it makes flat surfaces (though the pebbled look is kind of cool). I personally find this one cheaper than the other two, 6 dwarf bucks for an anvil? Not sure what to add to it to increase the cost/difficulty though.)

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 05:06:47 am »

Just make walls until the first caravan arrives. Then dig out. Unless you embarked with no tools hoping to be minimalist.

If you have a pick, try and channel the river away from the anvil. Maybe even start it into a moat  ;D

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 05:17:36 am »

Ok, seriously, the man wants to know how to 'cheat' himself an anvil. Stop telling him how he doesn't need to; you're not contributing to the thread.

sunshaker has succintly answered the question. Thankyou sunshaker for not having your head up your ass.