Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save Deletion caused complete computer crash!?  (Read 389 times)

goatunit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Save Deletion caused complete computer crash!?
« on: October 09, 2009, 01:21:16 am »

I don't know if this is an error others have run across. I'm pretty new to the game (but learning fast!) and have fooled around with several different worlds. To reduce clutter, I deleted a load of files in the ./data/save folder and kept right on going.

I've done that a few times, but after my most recent purge, I started up dwarf fortress and my computer went nuts and shut down. I had to retrieve everything from the recycle bin in order to get DF to load normally, but now I'm stuck with a bunch of clutter. How do I get my Vogon Interstellar By-Pass Construction Crew to reduce them all to cinders and make way for progress without crashing my whole shit?

In other words... what file(s) did I delete from the ./data/save folder that I should not have?

goatunit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Save Deletion caused complete computer crash!?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 02:18:58 am »

So I deleted all the contents of the .data/save folder, but left an empty "current" and "region 1" folder in there. It's working fine now. I don't know if it was a fluke or if leaving the empty folders made a difference.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Save Deletion caused complete computer crash!?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 02:20:17 am »

I think the problem was the "current" folder.  It's not an actual save folder, it's just something DF uses, to my knowledge.