Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I guess we can call it Dungeon Mode!  (Read 1314 times)

Neremworld

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I guess we can call it Dungeon Mode!
« on: December 08, 2007, 04:07:00 am »

I was considering a game for a forum I inhabit that regular runs DF succession games (one guy runs it one year and then he passes it on). My idea isn't very simple, but would be very cool if it could be done.

I was considering building a massive fortress network in a sector, with all kinds of traps (if they'd work in Adventurer mode) and then build up a powerful Adventurer and challenge players to a naked run - starting with nothing, they must use this adventurer to build up equipment and weapons and solve the many tricks and traps of the Four Dungeons and Four Towers!

... a Dungeon Editor would really be nice.

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I guess we can call it Dungeon Mode!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 09:15:00 am »

Of course this idea would require the fortress-making player to actually make the fortress beatable. But it would be cool though.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 09:18:00 am »

Great idea.
I'd play :D

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 09:50:00 am »

I believe the point was:

"I'd like to see a Dungeon Editor mode, where there are no dwarves to command, and all actions are instantly resolved by godly powers, that would allow creative people without the actual fortress-making skill to hand-make complex dungeons to challenge hapless adventurers."

I think I got it all right, no?

This mode can be an extension of the Wizard mode, once it's implemented. Currently, only tools like Dig, Reveal, Water, Teleport, and so on and so forth, that work from outside the game, are capable of doing what you seek.

As a kind of an afterthought, this mode will allow to handmake entire worlds, with custom named beasts and such. Seeing as the game has very large limits regarding sites and entities, one could make a continent on the scale of, say, Daggerfall.

[ December 08, 2007: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

InquisitiveIdiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 12:13:00 pm »

The very rock yawns with anticipation of your next fascinating move.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 03:09:00 pm »

Your dungeon is full of yogurt!
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 04:53:00 pm »

actually I'm working on something like this.  I think there are actually plans for an editor in the dev notes.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 05:14:00 pm »

Get those imps digging and find a portal.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Neremworld

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 10:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>I believe the point was:

"I'd like to see a Dungeon Editor mode, where there are no dwarves to command, and all actions are instantly resolved by godly powers, that would allow creative people without the actual fortress-making skill to hand-make complex dungeons to challenge hapless adventurers."

I think I got it all right, no?

This mode can be an extension of the Wizard mode, once it's implemented. Currently, only tools like Dig, Reveal, Water, Teleport, and so on and so forth, that work from outside the game, are capable of doing what you seek.

As a kind of an afterthought, this mode will allow to handmake entire worlds, with custom named beasts and such. Seeing as the game has very large limits regarding sites and entities, one could make a continent on the scale of, say, Daggerfall.

[ December 08, 2007: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]</STRONG>

Yeah, that's pretty well close. I wanted to make a massive series of fortresses to go through, as Adventure Mode just lasts seriously dangerous dungeons. On a similiar note, being able to set up events to happen would be pretty cool, like to simulate sneaking through a castle during a Gobby siege.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 09:10:00 pm »

Your dungeon floor is lumpy; order your minions to jump up and down.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 09:44:00 am »

A lost dwarf has entered your dungeon.. Oh no wait. No booze. It has wandered off again.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 01:31:00 pm »

Your fortress is on an incline. Angry dwarfs cannot play marbles.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 08:31:00 am »

DF is the first game for me that equals (OK have to admit, even beats) the hilarious joy of DKII..

One of your dwarfs does an impression of you. He can even.. He fails miserably.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 02:56:00 am »

DKII was awesome plus.  I didn't finish it (it's extreme capabilities of crashing) but I enjoyed it like no other game.

Except maybe Descent: Journies in the Dark (the board game).