Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plumbing?  (Read 525 times)

Zombie0hour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plumbing?
« on: October 08, 2009, 08:54:08 am »

Can someone please explain to me how plumbing works, and what it does for your fortress? I am starting to play again and I am trying out some more advanced concepts.
"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plumbing?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 09:15:24 am »

There is no "plumbing" per se.

Presumably you're talking about either channeling water in to create a well, or pumping water? In any case, the wiki has lots of info and I have no idea what you're asking.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:21:36 am »

I'd say "plumbing" just widely describes the concept of "using water below the level it came from without drowning eveybody in the process - or just drowning a few selected individuals".

I mean, you can use water to create waterfalls - to make your dwarves happy. You can -or rather need to- use it to treat the injured. You might want to consider using it to move items, to temporarily deny areas, to train swimmers and MAYBE even to put out flaming dwarves, but I'm not sure that's possible, still. Oh, and you can use water to irrigate farms. 

Really, get creative, there is no "this is plumbing and this is not". Well there is. A masons workshop isnt plumbing, period. A hammerer beating somebody up, isnt, either, despite the striking similarity of a hammer and a big wrench as well as the resulting splattering of more or less disgusting fluids when something goes wrong.

First, you think of somethign you wanna do with the water, then we can come up with suggestions for how to build it.

One thing I found useful is to know that you can smooth stone at the very map edge and then carve fortifications in it. That will make that tile drain water. (1 tile will probably not be enough, you need more, maybe even spread across a few z levels)
I thought thats the most elegant and non-CPU intensive way to get rid of water underground, apart maybe from draining into an aquifer layer.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 11:34:55 am »

I believe that people have used water currents to "flush" dumped items down an underground stream into a bottomless pit. If I understand it correctly, it's not especially fast, and requires the water level to be below 7/7. But I've never confirmed this is actually possible, I'm only working off of second hand sources here.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 01:48:47 pm »

plumbing is used to move water around for various projects, whether it be creating power for machinery, supplying wells for injured dwarves, or decorative water falls/elf drowners for fun and profit.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"