Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Door-related Injuries?  (Read 631 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Door-related Injuries?
« on: October 08, 2009, 11:50:24 am »

I'm noticing a few oddities with my fortress regarding strange injuries, and I suspect doors to be the culprit.  I have some doors in the way of my dwarves' most commonly used path, and on the floor beneath some of these doors is a pool of blood.  I'm not noticing this anywhere else in my fortress, just in the same tiles as commonly used doors.

Meanwhile, several of my dwarves are turning up bedridden with broken limbs, and I don't know why.  I realize that broken bones take a while to heal, but I've noticed a miner from my most recent migrant wave with a broken leg, and I don't know how it happened.  It isn't just miners either, it seems to affect any job.  I've been writing it off, thinking maybe a goblin landed a shot on one of these guys and I didn't see it... but it makes me wonder again about the blood under the doors.

This suggests to me that doors can cause injuries... maybe the dwarves are pushing the door open into another dwarf trying to enter from the other side?  Is this possible, or is there another explanation?

I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Door-related Injuries?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 12:33:06 pm »

I believe blood can show up in doorways if a vermin is standing there when the door gets closed. As for your dwarves getting injured, you might want to keep an eye on the wildlife.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 01:15:03 pm »

Doors don't injure dwarves, at least I've never ever seen it happen (and I've played quite alot and use doors all the time).

Most likely either the temperature is extreme somewhere causing them to be injured from it or your captain of the guard is beating them.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 05:25:42 pm »

Animals aren't the problem, I've hunted and tamed everything there is to hunt and tame.

How do I tell the temperature over an area?  I'm in a temperate zone so I'm not expecting either extreme, but I guess I could be surprised.  Captain of the guard sounds likely.
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 05:39:34 pm »

You should be able to check the justice tab for crimes.

Temperate regions shouldn't have too much of an issue with temperature; that's mostly a concern if you're on a glacier.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 06:26:59 pm »

The doors are causing the messes due to vermin being squished. It only seems to happen if the door is ajar, the vermin is visible (not "hidden") and the door closes while the vermin is still visible.

That's why sometimes you'll get rat/lizard/etc remains when you don't have any cats/kittens.

No explanation for the injuries without having access to the fort. Most likely culprit is weather, then crime. If neither; then perhaps sparring? Wouldn't explain a miner being injured though.. unless you activated and deactivated without taking notice of injuries. Possible cave-in as well.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 07:19:17 pm »

You mean this?

I would have been notified of a cave-in, and when that happens I check the injured parties.  It's just too bad the game doesn't keep a history of injuries... seems to keep histories of everything else, anyway :P
Do it.