Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brokenclutch: A dwarf fort story  (Read 1272 times)

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
Brokenclutch: A dwarf fort story
« on: November 04, 2009, 01:41:44 pm »

A story of a Group of dwarves attempting to build a fortress in haunted lands.

-In the middle of nowhere-

On order of the queen we have been sent to build an outpost near nowhere of interest surrounded by skeletal creatures, how nice.

-1st of granite-

Well we have arrived after a a few weeks of travelling and our supplies are at a bare minimum and these layabouts look as if they haven't done a days work in their entire life, lets just hope this isn't true...

-5th of granite-

We have hollowed out a small cave for accomidation, it looks like we will be building here then.

By the way, the whole mountain is made out of osidian, no wonder they wanted us to build on this location... there must be magma nearby.

-12th of granite-

We have made sure the main tunnel into the fortress is long and has a sharp turn leading to the barracks and dining hall, we don't want goblin archers firing arrows into the rooms.

-18th of granite-
Nothing of interest has happened lately except for the fact that we have made a farm that links to the dining room.

Upon closer inspection of the dwarves I'll be staying with for... so long, it seems that they are actually quite experienced with their proffessions and seem all to have come from good backgrounds, how lucky.

-26th of granite-

''Sir, look! animals! come quick'' is what he shouted, at first I thought he was talking about some damned elves coming to trade early but it was something I wasn't expecting at all.

Skeletal groundhogs? For their sake I hope they don't come near or they shall taste the edge of an osidian sword!!!

On a completely different note, I ordered one of my fine men to make some short swords.

More updates in a sec

Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
Re: Brokenclutch: A dwarf fort story
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 02:23:49 pm »

really shouldn't have waited a year in game to start posting this  ::)

-4th of slate-

It seems the skeletal groundhogs are too busy doing nothing for them to charge at us, instead a group of harpies have appeared and are flying over a pool of water, what they are doing I don't know but hopefully they'll make a charge and we will be able to slaughter them without any trouble.

-12th of slate-

It seems those harpies have taken a shine to that pool and are just floating there, staring at the groundhogs... they have dastardly plans in store for us...

-18th of slate-

We have made a trade depots far and fools stupid enough to come trade in this boring place, every other fortress I've run so far would've been ambushed by goblins, or set upon by wolves by now... so boring!

-25th of slate-

When the woodcutter came rushing towards me shouting something that sounded like a denomic summoning ritual and with his axe held high, I quickly drew my new sword (curtosy of our craftsdwarf) and pointed it towards him.
It seems I may have embarked with a complete lunatic.
But instead he stopped right next to me and said ''Monkeys!!!''
Oh brilliant, he wants some monkeys as pets.
''We haven't got any'' I said
''We have now!''
Have the cage traps captured some animals already? No, skeletal maraques have visted and are running around outside for some reason.

-4th of felsite-

We finally have a bridge in out entrance! Now if a dragon suddenly visits for no apparent reason it won't be able to get past and into the fortress      about time...

-14th of felsite-

Meep

-26th of felsite-

Those harpies are still flying over that pool, haven't moved an inch says the engraver but at least those groundhogs have disapeared.

-1st of hematite-

I woke up and suddenly realised something, I didn't know any of the names of the dwarves I was here with so I called a meeting so we could learn of each other.

They all have stupid names

Mage (dream of magic all you want)
Butler shishkol (Why have 2 words for your first name?)
The nameless one (how creative)
Space marine (what?)
Samus (your not a human)
Liquid (you make me want to pee)

Oh, and of course me, Dark   
the only one with an awesome name!

-1st of limestone-

A whole season!! Nothing has happened for a whole season!! Not even those harpies have moved!!!!!!!
Something has happened though, it seems that all the grass has dried up and turned yellow.

-14th of limestone-

Finally! contact with other dwarves! Oh wait, they brought useless crap that we have no use for, except maybe for a steel anvil which we don't have enough items to trade for, even the traders are boring it seems...
Those skeletal maraques have ran off for no reason, am I doomed to die of boredom!?!

-16th of sandstone-

Migrants? They can share my boredom!! Except they all seem so excited about helping a fortress to mature...

[Butler Shishkols log]

It seems that Dark has driven himself into an endless spiral of boredom, I hope he stops babbling about how nothing ever happens here though.

[Darks log]
-1st of Timber-

We have filled the moat with water and expanded the workshop room for more...wait for it... workshops.
We have also mined out a few gems as well, hopefully that will give me something to stare at

-winter-

Why comment on winter?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.