Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To weaponize Miasma?  (Read 2699 times)

Eyclonus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
To weaponize Miasma?
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:19:52 am »

Newby here just wanting to know if its possible to use Miasma as an extra defence trap, combined with the usual weapon/rockfall trap spam?
I know it pisses off dwarfs like hell, it doesn't hurt them but is it possible to deter invaders from pushing any further into the fortress?

Also I'm not so well educated in the game for playing around with the object data to be a good idea.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: To weaponize Miasma?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 12:27:15 am »

If there's a way, I don't think anyone has figured it out yet. Most it would do is obscure units so YOU couldn't see them.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Eyclonus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:32:51 am »

I guess if it was modified to be more nasty it could concievably done as a gastrap with permanently locked-doors onto a main corridor and a garbage dump with diagonal tunnelling so that it can still recieve garbage during a siege. All that needs to happen is the doors opening and letting it out onto those damn goblins.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 12:35:04 am »

maisma is similar to a stink bomb. It smells nasty and gives you negative thoughts but apart from that it wont hurt you. I dont think there is an ingame method of weaponizing it, and if you were to some how mod it in, it would likely cause more trouble than it fixes as a trap (It would make indoor refuse piles out of the question, heaven help you if somone drops a bit of food in your dining room, ect...)
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Eyclonus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:39:25 am »

maisma is similar to a stink bomb. It smells nasty and gives you negative thoughts but apart from that it wont hurt you. I dont think there is an ingame method of weaponizing it, and if you were to some how mod it in, it would likely cause more trouble than it fixes as a trap (It would make indoor refuse piles out of the question, heaven help you if somone drops a bit of food in your dining room, ect...)
A fortress with a strictly enforced Al fresco dining only policy...
I guess it could be done if you were really obssessive with getting every rotting item into the chambers before it floods the place.

Neoptolemus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 04:56:12 am »

The other issue you have to be careful of are cats which leave dead lizards lying around everywhere, they could turn out to be quite deadly...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 06:55:00 am »

Do note Toady mentioned that races with the [EVIL] tag gain strength from miasma.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 08:35:26 am »

The only gas-type weapon in the game currently is the booze bomb, which anecdotal evidence from adventure mode suggests does do damage. It's hard to tell, since, much like artifact damage and armor modifiers, it's almost always overkill, but in a more controlled test (dropping a flaming dead cat onto a barrel of booze in adventure mode) it seems to do fire damage to everything around it when it's destroyed. Since this usually requires something like a caged dragon or imp to do though, if you can make a booze bomb you can make a much more powerful and dwarfy defense than wasting perfectly good booze.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 09:19:37 am »

Do note Toady mentioned that races with the [EVIL] tag gain strength from miasma.

Wait, what? When?

I don't think miasma actually does anything right now at all aside from the negative thoughts to dwarves.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 09:23:58 am »

Wait, what? When?

I don't think miasma actually does anything right now at all aside from the negative thoughts to dwarves.
I believe it is supposed to cause sickness eventually, seeing as he is working on sicknesses now. And while I would like to find where he said it, trawling through everything Toady has said would be a feat in itself.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO