Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Isle DeWarf - Seeks Immigrants! Here, immigrants... >.>"  (Read 1071 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Isle DeWarf - Seeks Immigrants! Here, immigrants... >.>"
« on: October 06, 2009, 06:32:27 am »

My island home of Isle DeWarf (I hadn't even thought of a name for it before now. It is now that. :3) has but it's starting seven living alone on an island in the middle of an ocean. I do have parts of the map that lead into other sections of the island that I can't access (Embark square doesn't cover entire island) and there are no civs on this island. Is there any hope of me receiving traders/immigrants at any point in time, or shall I abandon all hope and stick it out by myself?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: Isle DeWarf - Seeks Immigrants! Here, immigrants... >.>"
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 06:39:18 am »

If your Island is entirely cut off from the mainland, then your on your own.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 06:43:25 am »

If your Island is entirely cut off from the mainland, then your on your own.

YES, SWEET ARMOK YES!

Hermit challenge in a building in the middle of the ocean, go!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 07:10:26 am »

I've had the notion that unless your embark screen covers your entire island, you'll get immigrants and dwarven caravans, but you do not get goblins, elves or humans (or orcs).

Here's a topic that goes into islands that cover entire embark screens.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 07:03:52 pm »

I've started on a small tiny map section of an island once, Still got caravans and immagrants, Maybe hidden landbridge though >.>  Play through a few months and see if you get lucky? I unno :P  Are they all going to become kickass fisherdwarfs living on the open sea? XD

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 08:42:31 pm »

Are they all going to become kickass fisherdwarfs living on the open sea? XD

Given the way fishing currently works, it's highly likely that they'll just fish the entire sea (or at least the shorelines) to extinction within a decade or so.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 10:24:25 pm »

also worth noting the guy who bridged elves over, should you ever need it (although you'd have to abandon, which isnt so useful)
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 04:38:51 am »

You will always get Immigrants and Dwarven Caravans; they're hardcoded to always be able to reach you unless your home civ is extinct.

I'm not entirely sure what happens if the embark screen covers teh entire island (so that the edges are all water), i know that in those circumstances if the water freezes then caravans and immigrants will arrive on the frozen water, but they might not arrive if the water does not freeze. If there is any part of the map that has land at the edge however, it will serve as a spawning location for caravans and immigrants.

Wall it off if you like.