Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On visiting an abandoned Mountainhome.  (Read 1200 times)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On visiting an abandoned Mountainhome.
« on: October 06, 2009, 07:49:25 pm »

Right, say that I want to start an Adventure mode quest to visit my current Mountainhome to take advantage of Justicesinged The Artifact Steel Short Sword and sundry other items. As a precaution, I copy the save file to my DF Backup folder and then abandon.

Now, when I check the Legend Screen, everybody from the Fence of Assembling ran like hell into the Lined Steppes upon said abandonment. If I take Koboldia Urist on a quest to raid the Lost Artifacts, will Wiremobs simply be a deserted hall of lost dreams, mounds of dead Stray Tame Giant Bat Pups (when it comes to breeding, Giant Bats put cats and dogs both to shame in my experience), and thousands of rotting roasts or is there a way that I can visit it in all its dwarven glory? I've heard it said before that a Mountainhome will continue on after abandonment, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is that a bit of common wisdom like "Elves won't take green glass" or am I just doing something wrong? Does Legend mode not properly reflect the status of things in Adventure/Fortress mode? Does the fact that I'm currently at war with the local goblins have anything to do with it (though it doesn't list said Goblins as being at War with me on World Map)? Should I wait until the Goblin King shows up and kill him before abandoning in the hopes of bringing the war to a close? I ought to start a new fort and see what it lists as my Mountainhome even though the site itself is listed as abandoned on the main screen.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: On visiting an abandoned Mountainhome.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 07:57:43 pm »

Sometimes dwarves hang around an abandoned fort for unknown reasons, but they're not operating anything, or preventing the place from being filled with monsters and having its items scattered about. You can visit NPC Mountainhomes in all their production-free, stockpile-free, farm-free, magma-free nonfunctional glory, but never player ones.

In some later edition of DF, player forts will be able to carry on without the player. But not this next coming one.

Abandoning while under siege means you'll find it full of the besieging faction when you visit it in adventure mode, but little other changes.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 08:13:05 am »

Nope.  Everything chain in dies.  Megabeasts escape.  All your stuff moves randomly in a radius determined by weight (heavy lead bins or even wood bins with lots of metal in them don't move).  And then all food/drink left is aged so it will likely be rotting.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 12:59:04 pm »

If you want that artifact steel short sword, put it in a lead bin with a bunch of other steel weapons. Should keep it from moving too far.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325