Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange trouble with a well.  (Read 1248 times)

Adultratedhydra

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a hydralisk.
    • View Profile
Strange trouble with a well.
« on: October 13, 2009, 05:31:28 am »

im pretty sure this isnt a bug but it is the first time ive had something like this happen.

i recently abandoned one of my most successful forts due to a very odd problem, having created a cistern to take water from the lakes around the map and making sure it always had a 7/7 depth under it i built a well above the cistern. the problem started the first winter when all of a sudden i kept on getting "no water source" job cancelations, i checked the depth and it was still full and the well was active, they also seemed to be avoiding alchohol. when rebuilding the well it seemed to make the bug dissapear for awhile before the next winter it happened again.

has anyone else encountered this at all?

(note: this was also using the dark dwarves mod)
If violence isnt solving your problem then add magma.

Huin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange trouble with a well.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 07:59:55 am »

Perhaps the well is forbidden, like buildings are following a reclaim. Does the well go green when you do d->b->c ?

Adultratedhydra

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a hydralisk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 08:14:30 am »

nope. checked it all. all was well...(no pun intended). the only thing i can think of being the culprit is the bucket had stagnant water in it most of the time. but ive never had a problem like it before.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 08:16:26 am »

I have had the same problem.  Also, I hope you undesignated things before you abandoned them, and cancelled jobs like hauling the dead.  Otherwise some stuff will never be recognized by the new Dwarves, and you will have im-movable stones and corpses rotting in the hallways.  That aspect did get reported in the bug section.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 08:25:42 am »

was the water under the well frozen at the time? I have a well on my current fortress ToolCrews that works for a good majority of the year except for a couple of months where it turns into a giant popsicle.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Adultratedhydra

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a hydralisk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 08:48:19 am »

The water was seperate from the outside so it wasnt frozen, i had floodgates to avoid that during winter. also i wont be reclaiming it as it seems the problem will just persist. sucks because it was an excellent site...if only it had an underground river.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 09:37:08 am »

If I were you and I were not going to reclaim the site, I'd gen a new world too, just to make sure it doesn't happen again at the new site.  Although it sounds like temperature is your main problem (can booze freeze in barrels?  what about if it's outside?).  As an experiment, you might try turning temperature off and see what happens.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 12:28:03 pm »

A couple things:
-How many z-levels is the well from the surface of the water? If it's not directly over, it will actually take a few seconds for the bucket to go down and back up, during which time some dwarves might get thirsty and find it's already in use, resulting in canceled messages.
-Only one dwarf can drink from a barrel at a time, any who can't find a free barrel will go for water.
-If it's occurring in winter it sounds like a freezing problem. Are you SURE that the water directly underneath the well at the highest z-level of the cistern in not frozen? The rest of the water doesn't matter, and water touching ice won't necessarily freeze. Also, if the space your well occupies has ever at any time seen sunlight, it will freeze over in winter.
-Have you tried designating a drinking zone around the well?
-Have you tried exposing a tile or two of the cistern without using a well and designating a drinking zone?

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 04:54:33 am »

I had a problem with a well designated as a meeting hall not being used to give water to wounded. Did you make it a meeting hall?