Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jake Tamber's Questions  (Read 711 times)

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Jake Tamber's Questions
« on: October 06, 2009, 02:44:36 pm »

This is the 3rd fortress I have had the problem with.

After I dig down so far (in this case 10 level below my main part of my fortress) my dwarfs simply stop digging. They'll just have the "No Job" thing going on.

The one time I managed to get a dwarf down there, he just stayed down there and couldn't do anything.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Or how I fox it? I'd really like to dig down further, I'm looking for my magma.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:44:54 pm by JakeTamber »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Can't dig down further?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 03:02:04 pm »

Embark locations have minimum and maximum elevations, and you cannot dig below the lowest elevation.

Besides, if you're looking for magma, digging down deeper won't help - you need to dig multiple shafts in different parts of the region.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Boogs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:06:01 pm »

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but I have had this happen to me a couple times and each time it had something to do with the stairs being on top of eachother all the way down, somehow it ended up to where they couldn't path all the way down the stairs. I fixed it every time by digging stairs right next to the level above the unreachable level and upward until the pathing fixed and my dwarves where able to get down.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 03:48:02 pm »

Pathing issues like this are usually caused by ramps, get rid of the ramps and use stairs instead, stairs never(as far as I know) cause pathing issues.

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 04:16:20 pm »

Embark locations have minimum and maximum elevations, and you cannot dig below the lowest elevation.

Besides, if you're looking for magma, digging down deeper won't help - you need to dig multiple shafts in different parts of the region.

I can TELL them to dig further, so I know I am not too low.

I'll try redoing my stairs, as I have the 10 level all on top of each others. Also, ramps confused me so I've never gotten around to using them, so that isn't the problem.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 04:22:22 pm »

Mmkay, just incase, make sure you have up/down stairs on each level, make sure the level you're trying to designate for digging isn't the very bottom one, because if it is you'll only be able to designate up stairs for it, rather than up/down stairs.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 07:01:08 pm »

Lol I remember my first game, I had gotten to -15 and hadnt hit magma (wich my friend had told me was on EVERY map if you dug deep enough) And I was like "wtf why cant I dig deeper?" he's all (Shit I can dig down as deep as I want) And even on the forums people were talking about -99 and shiz. I just couldnt figure it out >.< Ah...  I recently started on top of this BIG ASS MOUNTAIN and can go to -40 wich is nice >.> <.<  I know its not any help but im tired leave me alone :c

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 01:21:12 am »

I can TELL them to dig further, so I know I am not too low.

I'll try redoing my stairs, as I have the 10 level all on top of each others. Also, ramps confused me so I've never gotten around to using them, so that isn't the problem.

Considering that at this point I've got a 113 level stairway (with all stair tiles on top of each other) working without a hitch, this shouldn't be a problem. Unless you've somehow built the wrong type of stairs (say, up stairs instead of up/down).

yuhhaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 02:59:22 am »

"The game allows access up to 15 levels above the highest peak and 15 levels below the deepest valley"

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Location

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jake Tamber's Questions
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 02:49:48 pm »

So, I have heard the horror stories about the Cave Spider in adventure mode, but not much about it in fortress mode. My question isn't "how do I kill it" but rather "how do I make sure it doesn't kill me?". Do they ever leave their caves? Will they come in and own my Dwarfs while they sleep? If I build a trade depot in there, will it kill elves for me?

Considering how deadly everyone says they are, would it be a good idea to simply flood the place with magma? (once I find the damn stuff, been digging forever).

More looking for general input than answers. Thank you. 

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 03:11:14 pm »

from my understanding the normal cave spiders are vermin that sometimes cause unhappy thoughts with dwarves, it the giant cave spiders you have to worry about.

And you dont find them, they find you.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 03:13:12 pm »

Oh, I feel silly now. That was pretty stupid of me to make that mistake, I apologize.