Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Child being kidnapped  (Read 1842 times)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Child being kidnapped
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 09:43:36 pm »

You could instead have them pulling levers.
Wait, children cannot be assigned to levers... right?
They can be, no idea if they actually respect it.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 11:59:03 pm »

Wait, children cannot be assigned to levers... right?

Not sure what you mean by "assign" - unless you mean lock a child in a room with the levers. Children will do anything that a noble will, and that includes pulling levers, but unless you do control the path (by locked doors, etc) it's random who will respond to pull a given lever.

It'd be a trick to get the kid into the control room in the first place (without cheating, natch).

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 12:42:50 am »

Assign means choosing the child from the Permitted Workers list in the Workshop Profile for the lever.

EDIT: They do not respect the lever assignment. However, you can also assign bedrooms to children. If they actually sleep in them you could sequester them that way.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:18:06 am by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 01:15:50 am »

That's certainly one possible use of the word, yes.  On these boards, ya never know, so I asked.

In that sense, children can certainly be included/excluded to a specific lever, even to be the sole dwarf allowed to respond to an order to pull it.

I'd be hesitant to do that, unless I had a LOT of children to assign to it together. They can tend to be off deconstructing stuff or throwing parties or herding animals at the most inconvenient times.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 01:36:20 am »

Snatcher problems should be mostly avoidable. 
  • Don't have any female woodcutters
  • Turn off wood hauling on all female dwarfs
  • Have soldiers on duty when deconstructing something outside

If the kids never have any reason to leave your defenses they'll stay safe. 

Os Q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 04:13:26 pm »

If I have some room, I assign statues to children, so they hang around their "owned furniture" rather than wander around the woods. This only works sporadically though.
..at least put some spikes in your clubs for goodness sake!

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 11:31:55 am »

Bah, the moms are too busy poping out kids to really care if one disappears.  If it is a military mom, one satisfying sparring session will get rid of that negative thought.  Just look at it as one less mouth to feed and a bed that can be given to some dwarf who works for a living.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 12:02:07 pm »

I prefer to just wall the entire map. Only way anything gets anywhere near my dwarves is through my trapped front gate with markdwarves 3 lvls above.

That also cause me to catch 90% of the wildlife though... They'd walk through my traps trying to get anywhere.
Pages: 1 [2]