Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Water tower plan needed.  (Read 1683 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Water tower plan needed.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 11:44:47 am »

(What, you think you're psychic now?  Or that I post unconsciously, and you know better? Child, please.  Wrong on all four counts. Come back when you have something to add to the OP, the only one to have a question so far.)  ;)

Yuh's design is the most straightforward, the alternate missing floors connect the power.  The trick is that it wants a paired shaft of up/down stairs next to it to give access for the builders.  Alternating doors (or pairs, or more) are a fast way to seal the area and give a path for workers - they can be locked to prevent accidents, and still allow quick later access should any tweaking be necessary - and they're faster to deconstruct should the tower be temporary.  If digging, you can wait to channel out the open spaces, if that works better, to make sure you get the alternation right.

(overhead)

X X
xxx D Dxxx
x . %%~x
xxxxxxxxxx

x = wall
X = up/down stair
D = Door (one or both)
~ = outflow
. = open space/inflow

The area under the solid tile (the heavy %) is channeled to connect to the one below.  (The way to remember this is to remember that a dwarf has to stand in the open tile, and on something, to construct the pump.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 12:06:41 pm »

(The way to remember this is to remember that a dwarf has to stand in the open tile, and on something, to construct the pump.)

My way of dealing with it is that on any level with a pump, it alternates "_+_+", a channel to suck up at one end, a floor to hold water (to be potentially sucked up) at the other, and the channel in the middle (not adjacent to the other channel) is the one for the power transfer.

If I'm digging out of bedrock, I'll often dig the following, with the entrance from the north being temporary for digging and punmp installation:
Code: [Select]
### ##
#_+_+#
######
(If I'm smoothing the shaft, I leave the left-hand channel until after I've smoothed the walls that can only be accessed from there.)

Then installing the pump ("pumps from west" in this example):
### ##
#_%%+#
######
Then (for a top-powered system) seal it up.
######
#_%%+#
######
(If I'd have had the entryway one to the left it may have caused problems with trapped dwarfs, beyond the 'power channel' and even the pump-head.  Depending on other factors, but I don't think I'd have needed to seal it, if I remember right.  Though it's a long time since I was so slap-dash about it.)

Then on the level above (note you have problems if you don't make the bottom-most pump first before adding the one above it, before the one above it, etc, but you can start carving it out right from the start, and designate the placement of the new pump before you seal off the level below) you need to head towards:
######
#+%%_#
######
  ^ channel under here

For a built tower, then the idea is similar, except that you're placing floors and walls, leaving voids and gaps, rather than cutting openings and channels, leaving walls and floors.  And this means masons (or carpenters) running in and out with materials, getting in each others' way, rather than miners that you can usually manage with a little mroe ease.

But trial and error is probably the best way to learn.  And to see what I mean (and or really mean, if I'm not explaining it correctly. :)).

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 01:34:23 pm »

(What, you think you're psychic now?  Or that I post unconsciously, and you know better? Child, please.  Wrong on all four counts. Come back when you have something to add to the OP, the only one to have a question so far.)  ;)

When not responding to someone, don't quote them at the top of your post.  It makes it look like you are.  Judging by the fact that you quoted HL, it sounded an awful lot like you were objecting to HL's removing of walls from the construction s/he made to power it (which is not the most efficient design in terms of power use).

But regardless, the design on the wiki is is obviously the most efficient, and you've done a good job elaborating on it here.  This topic probably should have ended a while back.  Case closed.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 02:18:09 pm by Christes »

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 11:40:28 am »

How would you set up the axles and the like to give all the pumps power?
Ah, I knock out wall sections for that.

Pumps that are adjacent automatically transfer power between them - this includes vertically adjacent. Get (enough) power to one in the stack, and you power them all.

(edit, broken quote format)

As everyone can very clearly see, you were, in fact, responding to HastyLumbago(or Christes), and not the OP. Or else you just quoted two people for no reason and just happened to say something relevant to their discussion, but based on an incorrect premise. If, in fact, you were trying to respond to the OP, then you should most assuredly go and reread his only post so far, as nothing you have set as of yet relates to it.

OP, do you want the tower to have only the 1-tile open in the center for the drowning chamber, or would you prefer it be a full-sized water tower, that just also happens to function as a drowning chamber? Jude's pressure plate idea is a good one, but be careful of the timing. Floodgates don't activate immediately after triggering.

EDIT: Had an idea:

%%+%%
OOOOO
O+++O
O+c+O        First Level
O+++O
OOOOO

%OOOOO
%O...O
.O...O     Second Level
%O...O
%OOOOO

OOOOO
O...O
O...O   Third Level
O...O
OOOOO
%%.%%
c=floor hatch over drowning chamber

And so on. It's the same basic idea as HastyLumbago's plan, but with the additional flashiness of being entirely uncontained, each pump pumping both to and from empty air (except the ones on the first floor, of course). I have done a similar design before, though not as large, and I believe it should work with 0, or nearly 0 spillage. It will require a lot of power, however, because you'll need either the central axle plan already discussed or a complex exterior gear system. Gears make fancy mechanical designs difficult, especially moving vertically.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:06:00 pm by WJLIII3 »
Pages: 1 [2]