Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Pacific  (Read 1780 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: The Pacific
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 01:54:58 am »

I'm well excited for this... Pretty much anything HBO does is solid gold awesome, and band of brothers was excellent war drama, so I've high hopes for this.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: The Pacific
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 12:09:05 am »

Well, finished the series tonight (right after the airing of the first episode). It's truly powerful. After talking with the writer and others, I am told there were 5 main characters originally slated for this story. Tom Hanks said that was too many for the style they wanted to pursue, so they cut it down to 4 and then to 3. Sid Phillips was the last character to see heavy cutting and leave the circle of main protagonists, but as Sledge's best friend he remains the only "non-main" character to be extensively followed at home and after returning home. He also remains billed in some places (such as the official website) as a main character.

The point of the previous paragraph is that I am not sure if I should edit or retract the previous description of Phillips as a main character. I hate to be the author of what could be a gross error, but this is an especially difficult situation to gauge just after watching Dr. Phillips introduce the film alongside narration from Tom Hanks on national television. That's heady stuff for a PFC, even if the old joker didn't know who Mr. Hanks was before being involved in this production.

Sledge's and Phillips's banter and conversation is fun throughout the film, but the real show-stopper as far as secondary characters go is "Snafu". He takes care of Sledge and his other comrades at the front line, and although I did not ask I am now convinced he must have been the 5th main protagonist. I am told his role increased throughout production as he was found to be a compelling character and an excellent asset to the story.

Eugene Sledge becomes the star of the film as time goes by, and his story is the most compelling. There's no doubt that all of these men were war heroes, even though most of them were undecorated. It has been truly a touching experience to see them honored this way.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 [2]