Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seed / Ultrafinder and Locating on World Map  (Read 503 times)

LASture

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Seed / Ultrafinder and Locating on World Map
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:23:34 pm »

Got a bit of a question.  I've been using Ultrafinder a few times and found a couple of good sites.  Made a few fortresses.  Now...the problem is, once I get to the world map, I essentially have to search the entire world map, manually, trying to find the exact starting location I'm looking for.

This is proving extremely difficult for my current location.  I have the info for the site, i have a screenshot of the site, but I haven't a clue where to find it on the world map (using the Find function and typing in as many parameters as I can gets me a different location).

Is there info somewhere there telling me coordinates?  Or another trick to locating it?  Thanks for the help.

Picture of Area
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ultrafinder Info
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Seed / Ultrafinder and Locating on World Map
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 07:30:49 am »

Try making a copy of the save file, then using that save file to make a fortress in the first location and abandoning it, and then using the finder again. This should search for another location that fits the criteria, and unless there are three or more sites in that world that fit the criteria, it will locate the site you actually want.

At that point, memorize the location, delete the copy, and use the real folder to find the site and start your actual fortress.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 07:30:18 am »

Using that seed I found the exact location. Load the region up and hit "f" and set flux to yes, aquifer to no, river to yes, magma pipe to yes (going by the readout). The once the scan is completed it'll be sitting on the desired location. It's a basic program, and just pulls up regions that contain the desired features in the selected embark size. You still have to do a manual scan to find the location.

Sorry, I know my program is poorly, and somewhat in need of an update. I'll get around to it one of these days.
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

LASture

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:09:27 pm »

What I think would help, is when Ultrafinder finds a site, take a screenshot and save a .jpeg of the world map.  "Site11map.jpeg" for example.  Be really helpful for locating stuff.  Other than that, I love the program.  I also found this site by absolute chance yesterday, but I'm trying out one for a public game with some friends, running into the same problem : found great site, cant find it on the world map.