Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Attributed Dwarf (Test data is in!)  (Read 3844 times)

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: The Attributed Dwarf (Test data is in!)
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 04:13:10 pm »

Darn, no multiplying the experience gain by 30X
So is the wiki incorrect on this point?
I'm referring to the forumla xp = job number * 10

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 04:19:24 pm »

No, from what he said, it does indeed give more experience, but also takes much longer to complete, so the rate of experience gain remains the same, or at least similar, instead of allowing you to multiply the gain rate by 30x. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

n00bs4uce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 07:43:59 pm »

I often have trouble getting my broker to the trade depot, so I usually just set it for whoever is near to go and trade, guaranteed experience with huge jumps in skill up, probably quicker in short term than wrestling.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 11:37:35 am »

You're right, with big transations vrokers can earn shitloads of experience. I recall my broker skyrocketing to legendary from expert in one trade of 30000+ dwarfbucks bought and about twice sold.

However, it's just a short term method, unless you can change the broker after one first huge trade and buy back all the crap you just sold for even more crap.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 02:14:12 pm »

Nice work.  My question, though...

Is a dwarf capable of socializing with more than one other dwarf at a time?  If you get three idle dwarves, do two socialize while the third sits there with no friend but his beard?  Or do all three socialize, and is the experience gain rate faster or slower?
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2010, 02:38:00 pm »

Nice work.  My question, though...

Is a dwarf capable of socializing with more than one other dwarf at a time?  If you get three idle dwarves, do two socialize while the third sits there with no friend but his beard?  Or do all three socialize, and is the experience gain rate faster or slower?

I had one fort with like 20 idlers at all times, and some of them were legendary in a couple of years.

heck, I got a fort in year 3 with a legendary Child. She could only have been here 2 years.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2010, 03:23:21 pm »

I had one fort with like 20 idlers at all times, and some of them were legendary in a couple of years.

I know, that happens all the time if you have a small meeting area.  I tend prefer not to, and deliberately make large statue gardens, just because I don't think dwarves should be gaining stats that readily.

Anyway, the question still stands - do they gain exp faster, slower, or at the same rate if there's an odd dwarf out?
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 07:57:09 pm »

For the experimental type, you could have some rooms with two dwarves pitted in and some with three, and compare skill gains
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

DuckBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 03:35:14 am »

Might be a tad bit late on this, but the animal caretaker can be boosted up amazingly fast if you embark on a tundra.  The cold numbs dogs constantly, and they run over to your dwarf and hand him experience.  Pretty sure he'll hit legendary in like a week if you have enough dogs (And you can embark with plenty, its not like you'll need to carry food or anything)  Make sure your dwarves wear clothes though, otherwise they'll also start getting numb :(

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 11:55:31 am »

Might be a tad bit late on this, but the animal caretaker can be boosted up amazingly fast if you embark on a tundra.  The cold numbs dogs constantly, and they run over to your dwarf and hand him experience.  Pretty sure he'll hit legendary in like a week if you have enough dogs (And you can embark with plenty, its not like you'll need to carry food or anything)  Make sure your dwarves wear clothes though, otherwise they'll also start getting numb :(

Wow, another good idea!
Ok I might be about to lose power to a blizzard, but things to test next:
1) Animal caretaker on tundra (with a massive amount of dogs and cats)
2) Broker skill after enticing the caravans with huge piles of cooked cheesiness (specifically syrup roasts).
3) Three dwarves locked together socializing
4) Six dwarves locked together socializing
5) Three dwarves locked together wrestling
6) Six dwarves locked together wrestling
7) Perhaps throw a pump operator in.  Definitely not the fastest, but a very common method which could use some information.
8) Try a quantum stockpile of food on a defined food stockpile - will the food rot?  If not, lock a dwarf next to it with a kennel and try training Animal Training.
9) Job manager with legendary social skills vs Job Manager with same agility through pump operating

Huh!  Lots to do.  Breaking it down into forts of six subjects each:
1) 3 wrestlers 3 talkers
2) 6 wrestlers
3) 6 talkers
4) Tundra with massive mature agriculture industry.  Animal Caretaker, Animal Training, Broker, Pump Operator, and Job Manager with legendary social skill.  When the pump operator reaches the Job Manager's previous agility, make him Job Manager instead and compare.  (The do-social-skills-help-level-job-manager test).

Thanks so much for the ideas!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 2 [3]