Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d - Adventurer] Illogical Quest  (Read 626 times)

Swiftfreddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d - Adventurer] Illogical Quest
« on: October 03, 2009, 06:47:33 am »

Did a quick search before hand through this forum and the dev_bugs but couldn't quite see this anywhere.

Got a quest by the mayor of this town to go to another town(the capitol) and kill the mayor there. I was thinking that this would just make me an enemy of every town in this country along with the person who gave me the quest so I promptly saved before setting out.

So I went to the town at night, killed the mayor while no one else was in the Tavern and sneaked out the site. Then when I return to the town to tell the mayor about the quest's success he is instantly hostile and kills me.

This makes no sense unless I am missing something to do with killing the mayor of the capitol.

Otherwise this quest is "broken".

SirBlack

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [40d - Adventurer] Illogical Quest
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 12:25:08 pm »

Perhaps the quest-giver wanted the other mayor dead but didn't want anyone to find out. Perhaps all along he was planning to silence you after you carried out the hit so as cover up his involvement.

Chances are it's actually a bug, but you could try to rationalize it this way.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:52:57 pm »

This is a bug, but it's also an incredible tale of betrayal and political intrigue.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 02:52:29 am »

Out of curiosity, do you remember what the first mayor gave as a rationale for the killing?  Usually they'll say something like "Knowing no mercy, [name] stole sewer brew!"

Swiftfreddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 12:35:44 pm »

That was the thing. He didn't give a reason.

He just told me to go kill him. When I asked anything again he still gave no reason. No "He killed so and so in his lust for blah blah"

Oddly enough when I went to the Mayors place he was an elite bowman, but there was a trail of blood on the tavern floor and his bow and alongside that was a pool of blood and his shield. He stood on the upper floor without a weapon or a shield but his limbs were in perfect condition.

Makes me think they might have fought over something. It is quite interesting but I guess the game still deals with it by "Kill one person anywhere where no one can see and we still want to kill you".
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:38:33 pm by Swiftfreddy »