Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (Invalid) [40d16] The wall that forms from raised drawbridge not pathable  (Read 583 times)

Bandobras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have ramp (>), undug rock (R), channel (.) and the wall formed by he raised drawbrige (B) in the following configuration, but neither the dwarves nor the animals want to walk over it:
Code: [Select]
RRRRRRRRR
R.......R
R.>B   .R
R.RB   .R
R..B   .R
RRR.....R
RRRRRRRRR

The bridge is 4x3, built over the starting wagon that I have hidden 2 z-levels down. When the bridge is down, it does not rain on the starting stockpile and the fortress is not accesible by non-flying creatures. When the bridge is temporarily up, the fortress should be accesible, but I can't make the dwarves go outside, even on mining orders.

Edit: I closed this bug, because the problem seems to be that I misuderstood the wiki (which could be a bit more precise about the "wall" created by a drawbridge).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:13:11 pm by Bandobras »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: [40d16] The wall that forms from raised drawbridge not pathable
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 05:52:00 pm »

Raised bridges do not create floors on the tiles above them, so it's not possible to walk on them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Bandobras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] The wall that forms from raised drawbridge not pathable
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 06:10:47 pm »

Oh, you mean it forms a wall, but not wall high enough that its top could be considered a floor of the next z-level? E.g.,  a half z-level high wall? But if it blocks flowing water it must be a full height wall. It would follow that the floor is extremely thick. So thick, that it's alone unclimbable. Or perhaps the wall is full height, the floor is not so thick, but the the top of the wall that is formed by a raised bridge is full of holes, protruding sharp bridge components and barbed wire? Indeed, the screen representation does not look like an ordinary solid wall, but I was hopeful because the wiki describes it just as a "wall". Oh, well. So I close this bug. Thanks for the answer.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

It's a wall, it just doesn't have a walkable floor on top of it. Constructed fortifications are the same way (though not carved fortifications, since those are made from existing walls which always have a floor above them).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.