Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Dwarves Ignore Refuse [SOLVED]  (Read 1774 times)

Beefree

• Bay Watcher
  • [FURRY]
    • View Profile
[40d] Dwarves Ignore Refuse [SOLVED]
« on: September 29, 2009, 05:20:53 pm »

I have a small Hamlet with a population of 37 at the moment, and whenever there's some refuse laying on the ground inside the fortress, all the Dwarves tend to just ignore it, more than half the time it's never picked up and just rots away creating the annoying miasma giving my Dwarves unhappy thoughts, but sometimes they decide to bring it over to the refuse stockpile I have designated.

I checked a good percentage of my Dwarves to make sure they have the 'Refuse Hauling' labor ticked on their labor lists, and it is. I also checked if the stockpile was full, and it was nearly empty, and most of my Dwarves are idle so I don't understand why they wouldn't go pick up the refuse.

This occurred on the latest version of DF, and it's the second Fortress it happened on (The first Fortress I had to abandon because it was literally full of miasma)

Any help or ideas why this is happening would be much obliged!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:35:43 pm by Beefree »
Dwarven immaterialism: If a burning dwarf falls in a fortress, and everyone is On Break, is there smoke?

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Dwarves Ignore Refuse
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 07:23:34 pm »

Try orders menu(o)->refuse(r) and see if any of those settings got toggled into dwarves ignoring refuse.

Beefree

• Bay Watcher
  • [FURRY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 07:44:06 pm »

I forgot to mention that, Everything was on dump, the only thing they were ignoring were things outside.

I found a fix though, I designated an area as a 'Garbage Dump Zone' but it's still weird why they wouldn't go to my refuse stockpile.
Dwarven immaterialism: If a burning dwarf falls in a fortress, and everyone is On Break, is there smoke?

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 11:05:02 am »

Oh, yeah, stuff that's marked as save goes to your refuse pile, stuff that's marked as dump gets tossed into a garbage dump zone.  Useful if you want to save the bones for practice crossbow bolts, and toss everything else into a lava pit, or something similar.

Beefree

• Bay Watcher
  • [FURRY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 02:22:13 pm »

Hm, Well then...

But the thing is, by default everything is on save, BUT they weren't throwing it in my refuse pile, I dunno, it confuses me a bit...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 06:53:12 pm »

You have to turn on (o)rders -> Dwarves gather refuse from outside.

If that solves your problem, you can retitle this thread to something like "Solved" so that others can skip over it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:15:45 pm by Footkerchief »

Beefree

• Bay Watcher
  • [FURRY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 02:35:23 pm »

It's the refuse INSIDE my fortress I'm worried about, but since I fixed it with a simple garbage designation I guess this is solved :)