Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trade fort/Bandit Camp?  (Read 1629 times)

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
Trade fort/Bandit Camp?
« on: September 27, 2009, 04:57:19 pm »

I'm looking for some tips on to making an aboveground fort.I'd like something that isn't very big.All my attempts have failed so far so, I was wondering if you guys have any ideas.I'm looking at how to start off my fort.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Trade fort/Bandit Camp?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 05:01:05 pm »

Bring Alot of Building resources (usually wood)

also, all dwarves must start sentances with "This one time at bandit camp"
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 05:02:17 pm »

ok,now what is the best way to start wars?

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 05:11:17 pm »

Kill traders with ballistae, It'll be easier after the update
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

killaconcarnage

• Bay Watcher
  • ROBOFISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 03:24:11 am »

why?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 03:30:29 am »

Because then we'll be able to give kill orders for friendlies :D

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 11:42:36 am »

Atom smashing the traders works too, but you loose the trade goods in that wagon   >:(.

But yeah Ballista works pretty good if you want straight forward murder.  Cave ins on top of weapon traps works pretty good too, I'd imagine.  That would be a much more dwarven way of doing it.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 01:54:16 pm »

There's always rigging the depot area to flood. Just remember to add a drain to make it reusable (as well as lootable).
Of course, that doesn't help with killing the diplomats if you're trying to start wars.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 07:31:11 am »

There's always rigging the depot area to flood. Just remember to add a drain to make it reusable (as well as lootable).
Of course, that doesn't help with killing the diplomats if you're trying to start wars.

Diplomats follow your leader/broker (forgot which one) until they have their meeting.  Diplomats are also not invulnerable to spike traps on repeat.  I think you can see where I'm going with this..
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 02:43:00 pm »

Another option for killing visitors.

Have a narrow corridor with a entrance one tile wide with a single tile alcove to one side and a small room at the top behind a two or three tile hall. Put a throne in the room, designate it as an office for your Trader, put a door in front of it, and a cage trap at either end of the hall.

Now, when your Trader makes it to his office, forbid the door, and wait for the Diplomat to show up and wait outside of the door. Then flip the lever to release whatever untamed predator you have in the side alcove. For bonus points, use glass walls and a glass portal so that the Trader can enjoy the show. Maybe throw in a food and drink stockpile in case it takes a while.

Of course, there's a pretty good chance that the Diplomat might take out whatever you throw at him/her, but if that happens, they've earned that meeting with your Trader.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 03:57:32 pm »

The easy way to start a war is make a trade depot in a room you can lock. Let them starve. If you want let the diplomat go free after everyone else is dead. Easy as hell, if you want to make it more fun put spike traps in there and have a dwarf pull it. Works great with gore weapon traps.