Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Accidently created "Obsidian"  (Read 1424 times)

ventuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Accidently created "Obsidian"
« on: October 07, 2009, 05:31:25 am »

In middle of trying make obsidian farm in confusion... I just made Obsidian, not obsidian... it look like water wave tile, I seem to can't use it for mason construction. Is this thing new?

Weight 26, 0 value.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Accidently created "Obsidian"
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 05:53:35 am »

Is this something you can pick up? Because if it isn't, it might just be that the ground turned to Obsidian?

It might help if you can post a screenshot.

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 06:25:29 am »

Without knowing exactly what process you used, it sounds like you successfully created obsidian, and then melted it. Melted rocks have that same wave tile and can't be recovered unfortunately.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 06:27:37 am »

Melted stone has the color of the regular stone but looks live two waves instead of a circle. It forms when stone in item form gets into magma.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 06:34:13 am »

I actually had the same problem with my current fortress.

What I think is that you get the Obsidian or any other stone when the molten rock cools down and it is not enough to create a full new tile.

http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt344/Rvlion/?action=view&current=Obsidian.jpg

In this picture I have Obsidian and Microline represented by gray and blue waves but also obsidian and microline stone.

The waves can how ever not be dug out also a smoothing order doesnt seem to work, but that requires further testing.

Edit:
The waves of Obsidian and Microline have disappeared leaving nothing but regular floor... Even the 5-stack of Microline has vanished which is still covered with 1/7 magma.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 07:02:14 am by Rvlion »

ventuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 07:22:29 am »

What I did was 3 zfloor, top floor with hatch with magma, middle with grate (I was trying come up idea with mixture of obsidian farm and magma trap) and bottom floor was water room, I opened floodgate at bottom floor, but for some reason water went up to grate room (water pressure?). I went ahead open top floor hatch via lever, grate floor has obsidian walls, then I noticed hatch floor has obsidian floor and has one Obsidian wave.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 08:23:59 am »

Molten (and subsequently resolidified) globs of stone will be automatically removed by any dwarves with the Cleaning labor enabled, and they also disappear during season changes.

Of course, if the molten stone gets pushed around by flowing magma, it might get hidden (due to a bug), in which case it will never cool down and will never be properly deleted, instead remaining forever within your Z-Stocks screen.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.