Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time in DF, particularly during worldgen  (Read 543 times)

skepticcs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Time in DF, particularly during worldgen
« on: September 30, 2009, 03:29:05 pm »

I'm still pretty new to the game, but have spent a lot of time reading the forums. When discussing legends mode events and worldgen stuff, I've heard many players remark on stuff that happened x thousand years ago (have seen reference to 10,000 years or more of world gen) yet I thought worldgen stopped after only 200 years.

Is there a mod or change to the init file that allows people to gen for so long? Am I missing something? I think the idea of the world beginning only 100-200 years before you jump on the scene seems a little limited, so I would personally love to had a 1000+ year old world to step into. How is this possible?

Appologies for my ignorance.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Time in DF, particularly during worldgen
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 03:31:21 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/World_generation and http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Advanced_World_Generation

You have to tweak the world gen numbers. One of the most common reasons gen stops after 200 years is the game checks to see what % of megabeasts are alive and if the % is below a configurable value then it'll stop the generating so you have some left alive to play with.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 04:20:45 pm »

I may be wrong, but a longer world gen doesn't add much, it just takes away. Less megabeasts will be alive, more civilisations will have been extinct etc.

skepticcs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 05:15:30 pm »

Thanks for the info, slogo!

Well the megabeast survival can be tweaked, so that's not an issue. What the problem with civs? Do new ones not form?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 05:57:58 pm »

As far as I know the answer to that is no, only at the start of worldgen do civilisations start.

And since they have more time, they will also have more time to try to kill eachother over wars that will always happen(Like goblins against others). If given enough time, almost all civilisations will be gone, except a few big ones.

In the future, expect a longer worldgen to give a few good things as well.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 03:07:04 am »

I may be wrong, but a longer world gen doesn't add much, it just takes away. Less megabeasts will be alive, more civilisations will have been extinct etc.

It adds more variety to engravings, if you care about that. With a very short worldgen (like mine. 27 years), you get endless repetitions of "Founding of Fortress" and "Artifact creation" and "Dwarf engraving masterpiece" engravings.