Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GNOMEITE! (Metal Mechanisms)  (Read 1196 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
GNOMEITE! (Metal Mechanisms)
« on: September 08, 2009, 10:47:42 pm »

Metal Mechanisms are Totally Possible.
I was in shock when I noticed that for Adamantium, in the trap components list in the Forge,  Make Adamantium Mechanisms is listed. After some experimentation I discovered that this was tied to the [WEAPON] and [ANY_USE] tags. A side effect is the ability to make Siege Engine components (this is unavoidable) I looked around, and no one seems to have mentioned this. I missed this in the Wiki (if it is there). Was it too obvious? Is this something everyone but me already knew about?

At any rate, in case no one else has done this, I give you Gnome Iron, or Gnomeite for short:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wanted it to be magma safe so I modeled the stuff on Iron (very rusty bauxite-coloured iron), and the reactions I use for it are a modified set of 'steel' reactions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 03:04:05 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: GNOMEITE! (Metal Mechanisms)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:56:46 pm »

Your first reaction makes 2 bars while the 2nd reaction only creates 1 bar. Is that intentional?

Also, excellent find! This makes magma much easier to manage, and metal mechanisms are entirely realistic (eg, brass gears and such)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 03:08:59 am »

oop! thanks for the catch!
FIXED!

I originally thought 1 would be good, then checked the steel reactions and decided I shouldn't shortchange.

WHat makes metal mechanisms even better is you get to decide which metal to use. which means your mechanic (yes, the mechanic is the one who uses the forge to make them) makes magma safe mechanisms every time. No more stockpiling bauxite next to the workshop and hoping for the best.

Totally realistic, but the trouble is that any metal you mod to do this with will be stuck also able to make weapons, trap components, and siege engines out of. I'm not sure if anything else gets added.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 03:17:12 am »

Also, excellent find! This makes magma much easier to manage, and metal mechanisms are entirely realistic (eg, brass gears and such)

Entirely realistic is the magmaproof quartzite, that melts at 1770°C, really. ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 05:31:41 am »

Entirely realistic is the magmaproof quartzite, that melts at 1770°C, really. ;-)

Yes well.. I couldn't imagine quartzite gears. Then again chalk gears sound a bit silly too.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 10:58:11 am »

I embarked recently on a site that had a huge amount of adamantine, so, logically, I decided to make adamantine siege engines.
When I tried this my dwarves had a strange problem; They needed metal logs. wtf?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 01:34:17 pm »

Yeah, metal siege engines just dont work yet. The job looks for wood logs that are made of metal, which of course doesnt exist.

I tried to get around this error by smeltering myself some adamantine logs, but that didnt work either. Directelly smeltering adamantine siege engine parts didnt work either.

I managed to make en elf bone ballista though. Funny stuff.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 09:20:27 pm »

the things that can and can't be made out of other things is interesting. you can have elf bone coins, and blocks (and siege engines? hadn't checked that one), but not bars.

you can have bone and plant, silk and even VOMIT blocks. My favourite is mud blocks. ie. bricks. But you can't make meat blocks. nooo. dwarves can eat stewed maggot cheeze and rat tallow, but not spam.
[/quote]

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 07:39:09 am »

fortunatly it looks like all of that will be possible in the new release, at least eventually, as you will just specify reaction classes in the material raw and everything has a material.

This allows things like magma men with iron bones which you could possibly smelt or melt down, I hope.