Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Effects of climate/biome on dwarves.  (Read 520 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Effects of climate/biome on dwarves.
« on: September 27, 2009, 09:58:37 pm »

I've noticed something in my current fort. I'm going through a HELL of a lot of booze, really really fast. More than my last fort of this size, in fact.

The major difference is that this fort opens out onto a desert, while the other was in a nice damp grassland area.

Has anyone else noticed similar? Does the local climate really make dwarves thirstier, or am I seeing patterns that aren't there?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Effects of climate/biome on dwarves.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 10:07:57 pm »

I've noticed something in my current fort. I'm going through a HELL of a lot of booze, really really fast. More than my last fort of this size, in fact.

The major difference is that this fort opens out onto a desert, while the other was in a nice damp grassland area.

Has anyone else noticed similar? Does the local climate really make dwarves thirstier, or am I seeing patterns that aren't there?

Hmmm, no clue. However, if it doesn't already, it should.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 10:09:07 pm »

I think I'm seeing the same tendency here. The booze consumption seems to be somewhat higher in hotter climates.

It's hard to tell without looking at any numbers, but it's easy enough to keep your booze supply up that it doesn't matter much. But yea, my current fort is in a temperate region (the brook freezes through most of winter) and they certainly don't seem to burn through the booze as fast as if it were a hotter place like a desert or some other hot/scorching biome.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 11:35:52 pm »

Something to consider is that if all of the booze barrels are in use when a dwarf gets thirsty, then that dwarf will go look for water instead. If there is no water, though, then he'll wait for a booze barrel to free up instead. Thus, if your booze is only in a few barrels compared to your population, then you'll go through less booze if you have water on the map.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 02:54:39 pm »

Yeah, but I keep plenty of booze barrels around to keep dwarves happy. I lost a fort to a tantrum spiral due to a sober military, so I don't dare risk that again.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 03:43:01 pm »

The climate/weather/temperature really has an effect on dwarves, which can be seen when keeping dwarves outside in scorching/freezing climates(Injuries happen). My experience with a glacier fort(Freezing so badly there were 8z levels of ice) is that they barely even looked at the booze, but my hot, tropical oceanside fort just can't have enough booze.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 07:45:21 pm »

I just tested this.

In every case (hot desert, temperate grassland, freezing tundra) dwarves drank approximately 18 drinks each per year just like the wiki says.

There is no effect based on what biome you are in, you're imagining it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!