Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DAMNIT!  (Read 1887 times)

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DAMNIT!
« on: October 24, 2009, 07:33:27 am »

Marvellous.  Tax collector decides he wants "item in room" and, of course, doesn't get it.  So who does the hammerer attack?  My mayor.  My mayor who has remained mayor since the fortress was founded.  A legendary engraver who, due to being "incredibly creative" wasproducing amazing works of art that were actually RELEVANT to the fortress.  She lost an eye in the beating, has a yellow right arm and had a miscarriage as a result of her injuries.  It would have been her first child.  She is incredibly popular, and right now is very unhappy.

I AM NOT LOSING THIS DWARF TO MELANCHOLY DAMNIT.
Ph地glui mglw地afh Cthulhu R値yeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DAMNIT!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 08:38:19 am »

I thought demands don't end up with someone getting punished?

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 08:47:49 am »

Marvellous.  Tax collector decides he wants "item in room" and, of course, doesn't get it.  So who does the hammerer attack?  My mayor.  My mayor who has remained mayor since the fortress was founded.  A legendary engraver who, due to being "incredibly creative" wasproducing amazing works of art that were actually RELEVANT to the fortress.  She lost an eye in the beating, has a yellow right arm and had a miscarriage as a result of her injuries.  It would have been her first child.  She is incredibly popular, and right now is very unhappy.

I AM NOT LOSING THIS DWARF TO MELANCHOLY DAMNIT.

That has to be the most brutal and unfortunate hammering I've heard of. He actually beat her to the point that she had a miscarriage, broke her arm and knocked an eye out? Maybe I'm just inexperienced when it comes to hammerings.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 09:53:04 am »

Usually hammerings make people explode in gore, and possibly sever limbs if there is any wall nearby on which the prisoner can splash.
It is a steel hammer strike given by an hammerer to an unarmored and often unskilled (military-wise) dwarf. That dwarf survived only thanks to huge stats. 1 eye, 1 arm is VERY little damage for an hammering. at least in my experience.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 11:18:45 am »

unfortunate, but andrea is right. You got off lightly.

Although, I cant recall a mayor ever being hammered before. Heh. Can the mayor get themselves hammered?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 11:31:34 am »

Although, I cant recall a mayor ever being hammered before. Heh. Can the mayor get themselves hammered?

I think Toady fixed that bug.
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 01:07:07 pm »

Of course you know there is only one way to cheer this dwarf up. Murder the Tax Collector and put all of his stuff in the Mayor's room.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 01:35:18 pm »

Of course you know there is only one way to cheer this dwarf up. Murder the Tax Collector and put all of his stuff in the Mayor's room.
"Has lost a friend to tragedy recently."

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 12:51:11 pm »

unfortunate, but andrea is right. You got off lightly.

Oh aye, I know I'm lucky my mayor even survived... I'm just pissed because she's so very awesome.  That and tantrum spiral.  And this after one of my champions was murdered whilst resting from battle injuries by a pissed-off dwarf who went berserk after discovering I had no turtle shell for him to craft with.

Fortunately, filling her room with shiny things that were supposed to belong to one of the nobles is helping her mood.  She might even recover!  Bless... since she was injured her husband now spends all his free time, now in the awesome statue garden filled with gem-studded metal statues, not in the zoo, but by her bedside.  Awww...

Almost... the resident hammerer is now locked in his room being fed via a hole in the ceiling, and I plan for my tax collector to have an... unfortunate accident... when I breach the HFS pits.
Ph地glui mglw地afh Cthulhu R値yeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 12:54:08 pm »

Nobles killed are just replaced, and stem your flow of normal migrants...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 01:57:44 pm »

Tax collector decides he wants "item in room" and, of course, doesn't get it.  So who does the hammerer attack?

Nobody. Unfulfilled Demands never result in punishment. The only thing that'll get anybody hammered is a violated or unfulfilled Mandate (or an actual crime committed during a Tantrum), whether an order to produce a number of objects ("Make 3 Amulets" or "Make 2 Electrum items") or a ban from exporting any of said goods ("Export of amulets Prohibited", "Export of Electrum items Prohibited").

Check your Z-Justice screen to see the real reason your Mayor got hammered.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 04:04:21 am »

Usually hammerings make people explode in gore, and possibly sever limbs if there is any wall nearby on which the prisoner can splash.
It is a steel hammer strike given by an hammerer to an unarmored and often unskilled (military-wise) dwarf. That dwarf survived only thanks to huge stats. 1 eye, 1 arm is VERY little damage for an hammering. at least in my experience.

This is why you always dump the Dwarven Gavel of Justice, people.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.