Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well is Dry.  (Read 453 times)

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
Well is Dry.
« on: September 28, 2009, 09:32:25 am »

I currently have a well that's dry.  I built it one z-level over a brook.  If you go down on z-level there's a brook, if you go down two there's 7/7 water.  All this is on the same x and y plane.  Why is my well dry?  Is it the brook interfering or what?  Could it be that brook is saltwater?  I thought wells took care of that somehow.

I need the well to give water to the saddest baby in my fortress.  He lost both his father and his mother in unrelated incidents.  For some reason he now won't drink alcohol so the other people are trying to haul him water but can't because there's no well.
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Well is Dry.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:35:58 am »

Probably the "fake" surface of the brook interferes. Try channeling out the tile directly underneath the well.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 02:12:07 pm »

The surface of the brook won't allow access to the water below. Channel a tile.

...On the other hand, the baby might try to jump into your well. Babies without mothers tend to do that.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 02:27:07 pm »

my guess is that the brook tile (that is the water tile that dwarves can walk over) might be interfering with your well.

now, what i would suggest, is you building an aquaduct of a sorts (either raised or just a walled off channel) to your fortress so you have an accessable and safe water supply.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 07:46:28 pm »

If he likes cats you can try to get him adopted by a cat or kitten.  I've had this prevent a baby from suiciding who lost her mother.