Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor for non-humanoid playable race, how would it work?  (Read 1161 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor for non-humanoid playable race, how would it work?
« on: September 27, 2009, 10:17:15 pm »

So I was thinking of modding in a non-humanoid (quadruped, actually) playable race, and I was wondering how armor would work. Would I need to define entirely new types of armor (e.g. QuadrupedPlate), or would it figure it out somewhat? Also, would the fact that most quadrupeds have no upper/lower leg distinction throw a wrench in things? How would boots work?

Also, how would equipping weapons work? Do I need a tag other than EQUIPS?
Is there a way to distinguish between front feet and lower feet, so I could, say, mod in a sort of claw weapon that goes on the front feet? Or something?

Help a modding n00b out! ???
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Armor for non-humanoid playable race, how would it work?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 10:28:07 pm »

Boots can go on any part that has the [STANCE] tag, and gloves can go on any part that has the [GRASP] tag, you could use that to separate front feet from back feet. Other than that it will just assume that a quadruped can wear the same plate mail that a goblin just was, so you should be o.k.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 10:43:37 pm »

I think most clothing is worn on the upper body or lower body, as identified by the corresponding tags in the body raw.

To equip weapons, you need an available [GRASP] body part.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 11:05:12 pm »

Thanks!
So I'm guessing unless I want to mess up all quadrupeds everywhere, I'll need to make a new body type "Sapient Quadruped" or something. Probably want to make mouths not graspers, also.
Will I have to / should I define new armor types? I'm planning on having a very small size, and it would seem weird to take 3 whole bars just to get one plate mail.
Also, I'm thinking they shouldn't be able to use shields (maybe bucklers), I take it I just omit the [SHIELD:ITEM_SHIELD_SHIELD] tag?
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 11:18:06 pm »

Yeah, a sapient quadruped type would probably be a good idea.

Making them special armor that uses less metal sounds like a good idea.  I should probably give my large races custom equipment that requires more!  You don't have to, though; they can probably use the same sort of armor as the vanilla species, built to their size.

Getting rid of shields is a bit tricky.  Not giving them the shield in the entity raw will keep you from making them in fortress mode, but I don't think it'll stop caravan guards from showing up with them.  If you visit one of their settlements in adventure mode, the guards and soldiers will certainly have shields.

One way that would probably work is to give them only one [GRASP] part.  Warriors are generally given their weapon, and then any extra grasps are given shields.  But then they wouldn't use bucklers, either.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 11:28:35 pm »

Yeah, I thought about giving the weapons they'll be able to make multigrasp, but that didn't seem like a good idea - if I'm not mistaken, multigrasp means that if either front paw gets damaged, they'll drop it, and I don't want that. Is there any way to make it so that soldiers will have two weapons by default? I think that might prevent them from using shields or bucklers (bucklers don't make that much sense for a quadruped anyway, and I don't really care if it makes the game harder), but I don't know if it's possible.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 04:13:07 am »

When i added cave elephants as a civ, they had no problem using the standard armor types. They were bigger than anything else though, so ive no idea if their armor would work on bipeds.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 04:42:45 am »

I believe that when checking an individual piece of armor for wearability the game looks for the [SIZE] of the creature the armor was made for and the absence of narrow and stout tags. So nothing your elephants made and wore could be worn by a smaller [SIZE] race.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 01:31:32 am »

You could make some cosmetic replacement for the shields, just give it a minimum block chance and name as something you want to see your creatures using. I used this do give broken dolls, toy cars and old pants to my kobolds, for fun. It's fun when you meet a small warrior with a bug-opener (knife-sword) and a broken toy :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository