Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scenario Mode  (Read 887 times)

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scenario Mode
« on: June 04, 2011, 11:21:09 pm »

While playing one of my other favorite Rogue-likes (Crawl Stone Soup) I realized how great it would be if I could just open up some kind editor and simply build my own layouts and dungeons and populate them with handpicked creatures, treasures, traps or even plots. Then send them to other players as a kind of 'challenge' to send their lone adventurers, parties, or even small armies through.

Then I realized that Dwarf Fortress appears to be inexorably inching closer and closer to dropping the tools to do exactly that into the filthy little hands of a non-coder like me. Yet I wonder, is something like that actually 'planned'? The ability to control, design, and arrange the contents of an embark site to our specifications using in-game tools. Then save and distribute them for the *FUN* of the masses? Randomization is can range for hilarious to terrifying to downright depressing, but sometimes it feels good to overcome a challenge 'someone' took care to design specifically for my *FUN*.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
Re: Scenario Mode
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 12:39:58 am »

I suppose if this was implemented, the only difference would really be having more control over what you put in a dungeon. As of now, though, I'm perfectly content with setting them up in Dwarf Mode. However, I would like to see us experiencing dungeons with Dwarf Mode rather than just adventure mode. ( I think this sort of thing will be possible when the Army Arc rolls around, though. )
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:41:54 am by Exlo »
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

DrDada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 12:14:28 pm »

Id love to see something like an editor for room/building/dungeon/site layouts that will then be used during world generation.
People could make a room that will later be used in buildings in the city or specify that its a throneroom, a temple or a room in a crypt etc. You could also create whole castles/thief hideouts,dungeons or just interesting unique places like ruins from a lost civilization.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 09:35:59 pm »

A save feature for the arena, plus constructing buildings in it?