Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Mechanic cancels link up a hatch x >1600  (Read 984 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Mechanic cancels link up a hatch x >1600
« on: September 20, 2009, 12:01:23 pm »

I ran into a bug that was, admittedly, probably brought on by user stupidity (first time using pressure plates).  I misunderstood the suggestion to make a pressure plate "repeatable" and assigned a trigger to be added with the Repeat command (the plate was being assigned to a hatch).  I let it go for a while, realized my mistake, then canceled the task.

Upon canceling, my game nearly froze, then proceeded with a terrible framerate.  I saw a warning that said "Mechanic cancels Link Up a Hatch x120."  I checked the announcements screen - by now, the number had grown to x165 (I'm estimating the numbers here, I don't know their exact values).  The game continued to hang considerably, meanwhile the warning messages continued updating, each time adding another 40+ cancellations to the job.  It finally stopped at about 1600 cancellations of the same job.  I'm not sure why it stopped, but one possible reason could be that I got a different announcement regarding a cat being slaughtered.  When that happened, the game resumed at normal speed and the cancellations stopped growing.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Mechanic cancels link up a hatch x >1600
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 03:18:55 pm »

Did you happen to zoom onto the mechanic while this happening? What was he doing at the time?

There have been instances of jobs being canceled x4800 before.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 09:25:38 pm »

There have been instances of jobs being canceled x4800 before.

Yes, but those usually result from a dwarf having nightmares about some creature that attacked it ("Urist McHunter cancels Rest: interrupted by Elk" x4000).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 05:16:37 pm »

I wish I could remember... it wasn't animal related though.  I'm fairly certain it was either "couldn't find a path" or "job item misplaced."

Regarding this, I never did pull the lever that had this task attached to it, but I did disassemble both the lever and the hatch.  Only two mechanisms were recovered, but I'm positive more were hooked up.  I'm thinking four or five were attached before I cancelled the job.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils