Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating a D&D-inspired dungeon romp  (Read 1250 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating a D&D-inspired dungeon romp
« on: September 26, 2009, 10:25:46 pm »

I've got grand visions of a modular D&D game I've been thinking about, where all relevant info such as weapons, monsters, etc would be in the main program and separate campaign modules could be dropped in to run characters through different campaigns. I've got zero code to show for it yet but I'm planning on starting soon.

Before I start, I would like to know if anyone fluent in legalese could inform me whether my pitiful project could be shut down by WotC's Open Gaming License?

I've had a few visions so far. My plan is to do either a roguelike style top-down view or a MUD/text adventure type of thing.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Creating a D&D-inspired dungeon romp
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 07:20:55 am »

I can't answer your question, as I know next to nothing about the digital copyright stuff, but I do have a suggestion.  Perhaps make a combination rogue-like/text-adventure?  I.E. Each room has a description, but also has a small area to move around in, that way you could have D&D style combat encounters in any of the rooms.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 10:19:28 am »

As long as it's 3.5e(and possibly restricted to the core rulebooks), I'm pretty sure the open gaming license makes it fair game.  At least, all the information in the core rulebooks is posted on the internet legally, and Wizards has no problem with it.
Shoes...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 12:18:21 pm »

Thanks for the info. I began scouring my rulebooks last night and my first order of business is to create a party generation and equipment purchasing demo. Surely that's not beyond my abilities at this point.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 02:35:41 pm »

I'd say you should NOT rely on your core rule books, and instead try to use only what is legally posted on the internet by WotC themsleves (the official SRD), because many things from the core rulebooks (most notably the descriptions of monsters and items and such) seem to not be included in the SRD, and thus probably are not under the OGL.

Although if its just a hobby project and you dont intend to release it to the masses, you can just use anything from any rule book ('cause its for 'personal' use)
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 03:34:58 pm »

I'm looking through my books to see which ones have the OGL listed. Some of the OGL-covered materials aren't listed in the D20 SRD and I'm a huge geek about shoving everything possible into my projects, even if that means the giant dwarves and half-halflings never get used by actual players.

In all likelihood, this will just be a hobby project. I would like to eventually have a release, though.