Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Courts!  (Read 1029 times)

Dwarven Courts!
« on: June 13, 2007, 01:36:00 am »

I was just thinking about attempting to make a noble upset enough to tantrum, break something, then get thrown in prison\beaten for it. I don't even know if it's possible, may try to find out, but it spurred on the idea behind the title. Surely Nobles would demand some form of trial?

So I suggest a semi-use for the philosopher; he allows access to a dwarven court! Perhaps as a pre-req for a later arriving judge, maybe just the highest ranking noble precides? Or failing a judge, a noble...which would hand down biased verdicts. I don't know, I haven't thought this through yet, I just think it'd be great!

I've no idea what kind of courts dwarves should have, I imagine no juries as the diversion from work and the hell of gathering them would be awful. I don't know by what means dwarf representational skill would be, perhaps post economy they could hire representation, or use their friends. Creating a "law" skill doesn't seem worth it, maybe another use for an Intelligence attribute, which I had posted about before.

Then again, perhaps courts just use germanic tribe methods or something? ("If the wound doesn't heal, guilty!" kind of stuff...) Like I said, it isn't thought through, just thought it was a cool idea worth posting, and if people take to it, it'll flesh itself out. If Toady does too, maybe it'll make for a Bloat. (Assuming it isn't already buried in there somewhere.)

Slanted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Courts!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 02:20:00 am »

I think Dwarven Justice relies on the automatic presumption of guilt. What with the savage beatings and hammering executions and autocratic mandates ending in the deaths of dozens.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 02:48:00 am »

And if there was a court the nobles would just say: I AM ABOVE THE LAW!!
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 03:10:00 am »

Dwarven justice relies on the "law" dwarves thinking

"Something went "wrong" in a baeurocrats eyes... MUST KILL RWARRRR!!!"

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

Well, if that's all it is then fine. I was thinking a more developed fort would start using some kind of trial system. Also, like I said, what if a noble, (say the Captain of the Guard,) commits a crime?

If nothing else, this might alleviate having your legendary mason (and whatever podunk jeweler) constantly doing time for mandates -some of the time. And if it saves a good dwarf a hammering, you'll be very happy.

Plus it'd just be fun I think, especially if there was later a way for dwarves to try to manipulate courts. All except a Judge would be subject to bribes\friend bias, nobles would always favor other nobles and hand down harsher sentences, if no judge was available. Considering one of the Bloats had dwarves becoming "enemies" over stuff like "Your pet ate my pet!", it could be interesting. (Does the dwarf get jailed on account of his pet? Does the pet get killed if not already killed by the offended party? If the offended dwarf kills the pet, does he get time? What if he kills the owner? Etc.)