Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Gen Rivers  (Read 859 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
World Gen Rivers
« on: June 12, 2008, 10:47:00 am »

As so much is being worked on for world gen, consider this: while rivers erode inland, where they cut deep into the soil, at the shoreline they slow down and deposit all the silt- this has the effect of building up terrain to the point of making land. For example, see southern Florida. My suggestion is to have rivers, in proportion to there size, create these silt deposits in dwarf fortress world gen.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
Re: World Gen Rivers
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 11:35:00 am »

It would only happen on the outer bends of rivers, or where the river enters a larger body of water, forming a delta... I like this though, and it would be very easy to program.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

Perhaps more fleshed-out rivers? Like sources from glaciers and glaciers in mountains?

But yes, deltas would grand. I imagine it to look like a river source except the little spikes of river lead into a body of water. And several z-levels of soil despite the biome.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

Do rivers get wider than 4 tiles currently? I haven't spelunked that much in adventuring mode.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 09:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>Do rivers get wider than 4 tiles currently? I haven't spelunked that much in adventuring mode.</STRONG>

Sounds like you're talking about a brook, not a river, as the one river that I've embarked on in fortress mode was much wider than 4 tiles.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 04:50:00 am »

Well, it did say "You have found a river!" instead of "brook!", and it was sunk into the land instead of completely passable. Every time.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 06:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Duke 2.0:
<STRONG>Perhaps more fleshed-out rivers? Like sources from glaciers and glaciers in mountains?
</STRONG>

I want to settle in a fjord
 :mad:

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

Ooooo, rivers with a wide but shallow (and traversable) fords where you can cross without building a bridge or swimming (could use brook tiles).   :)
Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 01:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>Do rivers get wider than 4 tiles currently? I haven't spelunked that much in adventuring mode.</STRONG>

Settle near a major river on the world map and you'll see that they get much, much bigger than that.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

More than one embark-screen tile?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 02:00:27 pm »

No, the embark-local screen still has them as 1 tile,  but after embark they'd be wider.  I haven't done it except once and that map was screwed up.  However, I think the four rivers (2 in, 2 out?) were 6 dwarf-tiles wide.  Not sure because the entire middle of the map was down at z-25 and flooded.

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 02:30:23 pm »

More so than deltas, I want to see underground rivers generated in world-gen, and be actual rivers, instead of random water falling into chasms.  It would be extra-cool to see underground rivers pop up aboveground occasionally, and it would prevent all the river creatures from falling to their death every single time.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 04:20:37 pm »

I'd just like to see more bodies of water without vertical walls... It would help in adventure mode especially.  Have you ever jumped into a pond and not been able to get out? It's very silly and not very realistic at all.